In a further attempt to disrupt the campaign to highlight the inhumane and degrading treatment of Republican prisoners in Maghaberry prison, the PPS – at the request of the RUC – has now levelled spurious charges against members and supporters of the F&F group.
These charges follow on from the recent spate of heavy handed house raids and arrests carried out over the past seven days in South Derry, East Tyrone and North Armagh.
The house raids and subsequent charges are clear attempts by the six county state and Owen Patterson – the English Secretary of State – to stem the growing awareness and discontent around the malpractice of the prison regime and the criminal justice system. The brutal practices of strip-searching and control movement, the internment of Marian Price and Martin Corey, the illegal detention of Gerry McGeough and the use of draconian laws are all examples of how little has changed in the operation of British Rule in the six counties. Far from being the ending of the nationalist nightmare that we were promised, we are now seeing the consolidation of the six counties as a police state.
That freedom loving people and Republicans are not prepared to accept the status of second class citizenship and turn a blind eye to these injustices has resulted in the British state forces becoming more and more desperate to quash any opposition to their mis-rule. Such desperation is reflected in the latest attempt to force the “croppies to lie down” and remain silent about their oppression.
However, just as in the past, Irish Republicans will refuse to be cowered down by British repression and the F&F group will re-double their efforts to expose the injustices of British mis-rule. As part of the process to address all of these injustices we would also call on all of you and the Irish people to continue to support the activities of the F&F group and to do whatever you can to highlight the oppression being carried out before our eyes.
Family & Friends of Republican prisoners, Maghaberry. PRO.
- Statement from The Family & Friends of Republican prisoners Maghaberry. 22nd Feb 2012 (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Statement from Gerry McGeough on his one year incarceration today in Maghaberry prison – 2/18/2012. (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Report on MagHaberry for UNHRW (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Statement from the Family & Friends of Republican prisoners, Maghaberry. 20th Feb 2012 (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Secretary of State refuses to meet Derry MLA on Price and McGeough prison cases (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)