REPUBLICAN prisoners in Maghaberry gaol have claimed a reveiew of a controversial deal at the high security prison has been “sabotaged”.
It comes just days after prisoners offered to give a recently completed independent stock-take” a fair wind”. The reveiw, carried out by an independent assessment team appointed by Justice Minister David Ford, (pictured below), examined aspects of a deal struck in 2010 to relax strip searches and controlled movement in the prison. Republican prisoners on the republican wing of the jail’s Roe House have accused jail authorities of reneging on the deal. The prisoners have claimed, however, that the reveiw has “already been sabotaged by the DUP and the POA (Prison Officers Association).” The recent stock-take found that “not all the principles of of the August 2010 agreement have been adhered to, nor have all undertakings been acted upon”. It also said the stock-take has “created an opportunity to get things back on track” in the prison. In response to the review, prison authorites say they will look at outstanding elements of the agreement including strip searches. They also say they will consider relaxing controlled movement as long as prison staff are allowed to carry out their work “free from harm, intimidation and threat”. Republican prisoners alligned to the ‘IRA’ are currently on the republican wing of the prison’s Roe Four landing while those alligned to the (CIRA), Continuity IRA and (ONH) Oglaigh na hEireann are housed in Roe Three. In a joint statement, repubican prisioners claim they have been told that from this week the two landings will be treated as “separate units” and that a grill separating the landings will not be opened “until violence in the streets stop”. “If those in power are genuine about moving forward to a conflict-free environment within this jail, they need to show that they are serious, for now this process is dead.” Both the POA and DUP were not available for comment yesterday. A skopesman for the Prison Service said: “The Northern Ireland Prison Service is committed to the agreement and to providing a normalised enviroment for the Roe House prisioners within a secure location.”
With many thanks to: Connla Young, The Irish News, for the orgional story.
This is the grenade-launcher the dissidents group calling itself the ‘IRA’ says it used to attack police in North Belfast.
Pictures emereged on Tuesday night of the home-made weapon used to fire a Semtex-packed device at a RUC/PSNI Land Rover in the Ardoyne area on Sunday night. They reveal how the “drop and go” shoulder-held launcher was designed to be discarded at the scene, making it easier for the volenteers to escape. No-one was injured in the attack but police said it was “as close to officers being killed as you can get”. It followed failed attempts to kill police officers in Derry and Strabane, Co Troyne, using different types of explosive devices. In a statement to The Irish News admitting responsibility for the latest attack, the ‘IRA’ said: “Volunteers from our Belfast Brigade fired a home-made rocket launcher striking an armoured RUC/PSNI military vehicle. “Despite being heavily armed the RUC/PSNI fled the scene. “Our capacity to target state forces is increasing and developing. As a result we will continue to target them at a time of our choosing.” Sources close to the group have claimed it has set up separate ‘engineering’ operations across Ireland. The use of technology similar to that previously employed by the Provisional IRA (PIRA) is likely to cause alarm among security chiefs. The group’s statement was condemned on Tuesday night by North Belfast SDLP MLA Alban Maginness who said the dissidents seemed “proud of their actions. “It’s outrageous given the fact that three police officers could have been seriously injured or killed,” he said (I think that was the idea). North Belfast DUP MP Nigel Dodds said dissidents must be stopped. “The claim of responsibility for this murderous attack focuses attention on the capability of dissident republicans and the threat they pose to everyone’s safety,” he said. “It also reinforces the need for all avenues to be pursued in identifying members of these groups and bringing them to justice.” Two men, aged 29 and 43, arrested in Strabane in connection with last month’s attempted bomb attack on police in the town were released unconditionally on Tuesday night. Officers were lured into the Ballycolman estate on October 23 to investigate reports of a bomb at a water-pumping station. It was claimed dissident republicans had thrown a device, which did not detonate, at a police patrol vehicle the previous night. The alert was declared a hoax but a second device – a viable bomb – was found in the garden of a nearby house.
With many thanks to: Connla Young, The Irish News, for the origional story.
NEW WEAPONRY LIKELY TO CAUSE CONCERN
RECENT weeks have seen the ‘IRA’ launch a series of potentially deadly attacks using a range of devices.
The appearance of weaponry similar to that used by the Provisional IRA (PIRA), is likely to be of particular concern among security chiefs. The use of ‘drop and go’ weapons, such as the launcher in Sunday’s Ardoyne attack, is also evidence of an increased threat by those intent on targeting police officers. Shoulder launched, sources say the device contained Semtex and exploded on impact with the RUC/PSNI Land Rover. Police said it failed to completely detonate but pierced the outer skin of the vehicle. Republican sources claim the attack was launched from a range of more than 60 feet. While police will forensically test the reminants of any device they find, republicans claim the launcher used on Sunday was designed to be discarded before the attacker makes off. The ‘IRA’ announced its formation in July 2012 through a merger of the Real IRA (RIRA), the Derry group Republican Action Against Drugs (RAAD) and independent republicans in Mid-Ulster and carried out attacks across the North of Ireland – with an escalation in recent weeks. Earlier this month the group confirmed it was responsible for leaving a trip-wire device in Strabane which was discovered and made safe. A “calibrated pressure plate” device was also left for police in Derry last month, but again made safe after being discovered. Earlier this month a Semtex-packed device known as an ‘explosively formed projectile’ was launched at a police car in the Creggan area of Derry, causing significant damage to a rear door, but injuring no-one. A similar device was fired at a police Land Rover on Belfast’s Falls Road in March. While EFP technology has been used to deadly effect in parts of the Middle East, it is understood to be a modern version of the horizontal mortar – known by republicans as a ‘doodle bug’ – which was used by the Provisionals to kill police officers and British soldiers. Other gun and bomb attacks have been carried out over the past 12 months. It is claimed the organisation has set up several ‘engineering’ operations across the island of Ireland which are responsible for modifying existing equipment and developing new technology. One republican source said this is part of an effort to make individual ‘IRA’ groups in some areas self sufficient, limiting the need to transport weaponry and therefore risk discovery. They claim an increase in frequency of attacks and sophistication is having an impact on how the RUC/PSNI patrols nationalist areas. Republicans say the home made shoulder-held launcher, while simple in design, can be potentially deadly and can be used anywhere. “They can be made in a few hours,” a source said.
With many thanks to: Connla Young, The Irish News, for the origional story.
‘ Although we have good reason to be sceptical, we are willing to give it fair wind - Inmate’s statement
REPUBLICAN prisioners in Maghaberry Gaol have said they are willing to give a “fair wind” to a recently completed reveiw of a controversial prison deal.
The reveiw which was carried out by an independent assessment team appointed by Justice Minister David Ford, examined aspects of a deal struck in 2010 to relax strip searches and controlled movement in the prison. Republican prisoners in the jail’s Roe House have accused jail authorities of reneging on the deal. The recent stock-take found that “not all the principles of the August 2010 agreement have been adhered to, nor have all undertakings been acted upon”. The report found that the agreement has “been unable to realise its full potential, partly because of bedding in problems arising from the lack of trust” between prison service officials and republician prisoners and concern about staff safety. It also said the stock-take has “created an opportunity to get things back on track”. In 2012 republican prisoners ended a no-wash protest just weeks after prison officer David Black was shot dead as he travelled to work in Maghaberry Gaol along the M1. Prison authorities say they will look at outstanding elements of the agreement including strip searches. They also say they will consider relaxing controlled movement as long as prison staff are allowed to carry out their work “free from harm, intimidation and threat”. In a joint statement inmates on the republican wing Roe Three and Four landings gave the review a cautious welcome. “Although we have good reason to be sceptical, we are willing to give it a fair wind,” it said. “The stock-take has the capacity to re-engage the implementation process of the August 2010 agreement. The reality is the only viable option. It is the only show in town,” it said. The prisoner statement said the 2010 deal offers are “victory to no-one”. “It is a route to an environment which is conflict free and threatens no-one,” it said. The joint statement added that a “resolution of all outstanding issues is within all of our grasps”. ” This should not be held to ransom by the politically ambitious or reactionary elements who yearn for a time long past,” it said. “We are in the 21st century; prison conditions should reflect that. Therefore Rupublican Political Prisoners in Roe House are in full favour of a conflict free environment.”
With many thanks to: Connla Young, The Irish News, for the origional story.
The state is supposed to be the servent of it’s citizens, not the master - Monsignor Raymond Murry.
Veteran human rights campaigner Monsignor Raymond Murry has criticised the Justice System in the North of Ireland.
The Catholic priest told an event in Co Derry that there is currently “no adequate peocedure for undoing miscarriaiges of justice” in the North of Ireland. Friday’s event was organised by supporters of the Craigavon Two men Brendan (Yandy) McConville (43) and John Paul Wootton (23), who are both serving lengthy sentences in Maghaberry Gaol for the murder of RUC/PSNI officer Stephen Carrol. The pair deny any part in the (CIRA) Continuity IRA sniper attack but lost an appeal case earlier this year. McConville (Yandy) has been ordered to serve a minimun of 25 years for a crime he didn’t commit while Wotton’s minimum sentence was increased from 14 to 18 years last month. Constable Carroll was shot dead as he and colleagues answered an emergenceny call in Lismore Manor area in 2009.
Monsignor Murry, who has campaigned for the Birmingham Six and other miscarriages of justice in the past, offered sympathy to the family of Constable Carroll. But he said he was concerned about the case. “How can we fail to be anxious and concerned when we hear of injustice inflicted on individuals?” he said. “The state is supposed to be servent of its citizens, not the master. It always comes down to the indvidual with a name, a human being. “Names, Brendan Mc Conville and John Paul Wootton and their tormented families. They deserve our special attention. We must not seek excuses for ourselves in the matter of injustice by just proclaiming the abstract.” Monsigray also criticised the judicial system in the North of Ireland. “We still have special courts,” he said. “During the 30 years, conflict Diplock Courts were not acceptable by people seeking truth and justice and present tracings of its workings in the Justice and Security (NI) Act 2007 in non-jury courts with their aura of injustice are not acceptable. “The rule of law in the North of Ireland was corrupted by the use of illegal methods of interrogation and by the official efforts to cover up the use of these methods. The end can never justify the mean. Justice, not expediency is always the principle.”
With many thanks to: Connla Young,The Irish News, for the origional story
Originally posted on | truthaholics:
Israel shuts Dr Gilbert out from Gaza for life ~ The Local, Norway’s News in English.
Israeli authorities cited security reasons as to why they have shut doctor Gilbert out from the Gaza Strip.
The Norwegian 67-year-old has travelled to and from Gaza to treat Palestinians. This summer, the chief physician who lives and works in North Norway, was back working at Shifa hospital, Gaza, where he treated over 50 days many of the 11,000 injured.
The doctor was attempting to return to the region in October to help in the hospital and was stopped by Israeli officials from entering.
View original 218 more words
JUST SOME OF THE FACTS THAT THE PUBLIC MAY NOT BE AWARE OF IN THE CASE OF “THE CRAIGAVON TWO” PLEASE READ AND SHARE!!!!!
Justice For The Craigavon Two
• WITNESS M DID NOT COME FORWARD FOR 11 MONTHS
• WITNESS M WAS INTOXICATED WHEN HE CONTACTED THE RUC/PSNI
• WITNESS M WAS FOUND TO HAVE CONTINUOUSLY LIED UNDER OATH
• WITNESS M’s TESTIMONY WAS MEDICALLY IMPOSSIBLE
• WITNESS M’s IDENITIY WAS HIDDEN TO STOP PROPER CROSS EXAMINATION
• WITNESS M WAS ACCOMPANIED BY HIS PARTNER ON THE NIGHT IN QUESTION, YET SHE IS UNABLE TO CONFIRM HIS VERSION OF EVENTS
• WIITNESS M BENEFITED FINANCIALLY FROM HIS INVOLVEMENT
• A COVERT BRITISH ARMY/MI5 UNIT WAS INVOLVED INVOLVED IN EVIDENCE TAMPERING
• A TRACKING DEVICE FITTED TO JOHN PAUL WOTTON’S CARE SHOW’S THE VEHICLE AT NO TIME WENT ANYWHERE NEAR THE HOUSING ESTATE WHERE THE AK47 USED IN T SHOOTING WAS LATER DISCOVERED
• WHEN THE AK47 THAT WAS USED IN THE SHOOTING WAS DISCOVERED, A PARTIAL FINGERPRINT WAS FOUND ON THE INTERNAL SPRING MECHANISM OF THE MAGAZINE. THIS FINGERPRINT WAS CHECKED AGAINST THE FINGERPRINTS OF BRENDAN (YANDY) McCONVILLE AND JOHN PAUL WOOTON. AND NO MATCHES WERE FOUND!!!!
WITH MANY THANKS TO: HELEN DEERY, FOR THE ORIGIONAL STORY.
MOLESTATION IS RAPE AND RAPE IS RAPE
A Shame Fein junior minister has insisted she did not act improperly by not reporting abuse claims made by Mairia Cahill.
At a debate in Stormont on Tuesday night about Ms Cahill’s claims, DUP MLA Paula Bradley said Shame Fein junior minister Jennifer McCann (pictued above) should consider her position. But Ms McCann said there was “no improper conduct in my actions” and that Ms Cahill had never indicated that she wanted her to report the allegations. Ms Cahill waived her right to anonymity last month to say that she had been raped by alleged PIRA member Martin Morris in 1997, when she was 16. She also claimed she had been questioned about the alleged abuse by an PIRA ‘kangaroo court’ that had eventually led to her being forced to face Morris. A case was brought against Morris, who denied the allegations. But all charges were dropped earlier this year after Ms Cahill withdrew her evidence. A motion put forward by the DUP called for a “full inquiry” into Ms McCann’s actions to “establish any impropriety as well as any breach of the Ministerial Code of Conduct”. Ms McCann said Ms Cahill had told her in confidence about the abuse allegations in 2005 when the pair worked togeather. But she said “at no time” did Ms Cahill suggest that she wanted Ms McCann to report the alleged abuse. She said she advised Ms Cahill to seek counselling and also allowed the alleged abuse victim to stay at her home one night because she was “particulary distressed and on her own”. She added: “I would not cover up or protect anyone who has been accused of rape or sexual abuse.” Ms McCann said she felt that her “credibility not only as junior minister but also in a personal sense as a woman and particularly as a mother is under attack through this disgraceful motion and what members in this chamber have said both during this debate and over the past few weeks”. But Ms Bradly claimed that Ms McCann had “failed” Ms Cahill. “She failed to properly support her, to tell the relevant people of the allegations of the abuse, and she failed herself to report the allegations in order to ensure that they could be investigated,” she said. Ms Bradley said that Ms McCann’s position was “now untenable” because as a junior minister she has responsibilites relating to historical institutional abuse and young people. Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said Ms McCann had “acted at all times with care and compassion”. “There is absolutley basis or substance to any suggestion that she is in breach of the Ministerial Code,” he said. He said the motion was a “wholly unjustified and unfounded attack” on Ms McCann’s “integrity and sincerity”. He also accused the DUP and the SDLP of exploting the issue “in the most crass and self-serving way”. However, SDLP MLA Dolores Kelly said: “it is Shame Fein who are politicising the debate. Mairia Cahill is the victim in this, not Martin (J118) McGuinness or Jennifer McCann.
With many thanks to: The Irish News, for the origional story