Blog Archives

Doubts over ballistic tests

BALLISTICS tests on the gun used to kill pensioner Roseann Mallon were done by RUC Special Branch officers who might not have been properly qualified, an inquest has heard.

Ms Roseann Mallon (76), was gunned down as she watched television at her home in Dunngannon, Co Tyrone, on May 8 1994.

The Czech-bought assault rifle, now linked to 11 other murders and two attempted murders, was first examined at the Weapons and Explosives Research Centre (Werc) – a previously unheard of unit located within the Northern Ireland Forensic Science Laboratory, the court was told. Mr Justice Weir, who is hearing the long-awaited inquest, said: “This is the first time it has ever come to my attention that there was a forensic system.” Ms Mallon (76) was gunned down as she watched television at a house near Dungannon, Co Tyrone on May 8 1994. The spinster, who had been staying with relatives because she felt vulnerable, was unable to escape when two loyalist gunmen indiscriminately opened fire on the bungalow on Cullenrammer Road.

The UVF said its mid-Ulster brigade had been responsible (although it was widely beleived to be members of Billy Wright‘s LVF gang) and were targeting two of her nephews Christopher Mallon, who was not home at the time and Martin Mallon who lived half a mile away. In the wake of the shooting, British army spying equipment was found in a nearby field sparking claims of security force collusion. Last week it emerged that the Historical Enquries Team (HET) – a specialist unit set up to re-examine Troubles-related cold cases – had linked the murder weapon to the UVF killings of Charles and Theresa Fox at the Moy, Co Armagh, in 1992, as well as the murders of John Quinn, Dwayne O’Donnell, Malcolm Nugent and Tommy Armstrong outside a bar in Cappagh, Co Tyrone in 1991. But, Barry McDonald QC, who is representing the Mallon family, said the rifle was now known to have been involved in at least eight incidents that resulted in 11 murders and two attempted murders.

COLLUSION = STATEMURDER

He said inaccurate information that the gun had no previous previous history was fed into the the system by Special Branch. Mr MacDonald said: “The practice seems to have been when cartrige cases were collected they were forwared to the Forensic Science Laboratory of Northern Ireland but it was the Werc who conducted their investigations and provided a steer. “The upshot is that these incorrect conclusions have been made by a section of Special Branch in circumstances where the object of this entire exercise – that’s this inquest – is to allay suspicion and rumour about the involvement of Special Branch.” Judge Weir told the court he had never heard of Werc despite a lengthy career as a defence barrister and judge. He also expressed concern that they were not ballistics experts and said he would be demanding a full explanation on how they operated and who took the decision to conceal their existence. Martin Mallon said the family had been left bemused by the latest revelations. He said: “We have had Special Branch hiding behind screens, we have heard evidence about burning notebooks and items being destroyed. We have consistently heard about Special Branch being a force within a force and now it appears that Werc was unit within a unit. Notorious killer Billy Wright and two other loyalists were arrested and questioned about Ms Mallon’s murder but no-one has ever been convicted. Sinn Fein MLA Sean Lynch, who sits on the Stormont justice committee and is a Mallon family friend, said: “It is obvious that the British state is covering up, delaying and prevaricating on vital evidence – particularly around ballistics.” The inquest has now been adjourned until May to allow the HET to complete its investigation into 24 murders in the East Tyone area between 1988 and 1994 – including Ms Mallon’s murder.

With many thanks to: The Irish News.

NATIONAL HUNGER-STRIKE COMMEMORATION 2012

National Hunger Strike Commemoration 2012

    • Sunday, 5 August 2012
    • 14:00 until 18:00
  • Dungiven Co. Derry
  • Join us for the 31st annual Hunger Strike Commemorative march and rally which takes place this year in Dungiven Co. Derry at 2PM. Main speaker Michelle O’Neill MLA.

 

POSTED ON BEHALF OF : Public event · By National Hunger Strike Commemoration 2012

POW FUNDRAISING WEEKEND !

POW fundraising weekend

    • Friday, 6 July 2012
    • 10:00
  • Fermanaghcavan Csm in conjunction with IRPWA will be holding a fundraiser weekend in support of the POWs in the Emerald Bar Bundoran on the 6th and 7th of july . Garryowen are playing on the friday night and Erin Go Bragh will be playing the Saturday night. The cover chargeis 5 euro and will cover both nights, there will also be a raffle of crafts on both nights.Tickets will be available from your local cumann or in the emerald bar. All proceeds will go to POWs, come out and show your support for the POWs.Beir Bua
POSTED ON BEHALF OF : Invite-Only Event · By Fermanaghcavan Csm

Milenry fascinator workshop !

Milenry fascinator workshop

    • Saturday, 16 June 2012
    • 17:00
  • Learn how to be Crafty and fashionable all at once with our 2 hour fascinator class, learn how to embellish , feather ,bedazzle your very own fascinator to your own taste. Class now only €50 . Pm us for more details or visit www.whenpoppymetdaisy.com


POSTED ON BEHALF OF : Friend’s Event · By Lorna DalyDesign
HERE ARE A FEW LINKS LORNA DALYDESIGN ASKED ME TO PASS ON
Hi, please pass these links on to friends as I am currently trying to generate interest in this brand and design school! If you could share this page on your Facebook page or pm the links to some friends I will be very grateful! Keep up to date with our pages over the next few months as we will be updating them daily with fashion trends, icons and style tips! Look out also for competitions and if you’re interested in sponsoring a competition then get in touch with me via email at: We will be updating our blog on a regular basis so I will be sending on a link to this in a few days time! Thanks a million! The team at When Poppy Met Daisy! Stay tuned! Best wishes! xxx
http://www.facebook.com/pages/When-poppy-met-daisy/189072971129199 andhttp://www.facebook.com/lorna.dalydesign

WEST BELFAST WALL MURALS !

POSTED ON BEHALF OF : IRISH PC BRIGADE.

MARCH & RALLY SUNDAY JUNE 3rd

JAMES CONNOLLY DAY

James Connolly Day will begin with a march that will assemble at Whiterock Leisure centre at 3:30pm and march to Clondara St, where a striking mural of James and Nora Connollywill be unveiled, followed by a rally addressed by prominent speakers.Refreshments and folk music will then be provided in O’Donnell’s GAC where a local historianwill give a talk on the life of Connolly.This is a non political party event, all groups are welcome……..
POSTED ON BEHALF OF :   James Connolly Béal Feirste

The Rebel Shamrock Festival

Shamrock-Festival Rebel

POSTED ON BEHALF OF : Public event · By Shamrock-Festival RebelPeter Campbell and 4 others

Bomb disposal call-outs at highest level since 1979

Call-outs for Army bomb disposal teams last year were the highest in more than 30 years, new figures show.

The Army was called out 237 times last year to deal with suspected explosive devices, the largest number since 1979.

A large increase in callouts came during visits by Queen Elizabeth and US president Barack Obama. Fifty-eight of the devices discovered were deemed to be viable explosives.

The devices found include improvised mortars, often large devices capable of firing an explosive gas cylinder known as “barrack busters”, while rocket propelled grenades (RPGs) and pipe bombs were also discovered by the specialised unit.

So far this year the Army has been called out 91 times and has dealt with some 32 viable explosive devices.

A total of 31 of the call-outs in 2012 were deemed hoaxes or false alarms.

“Last year was the highest number of call-outs since 1979. The number of viable improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in 2010 was 49 but this belies the spectrum of devices including improvised mortars, explosive components, RPGs and other IEDs dealt with by the teams that year,” the spokesman said.

WITH  MANY THANKS TO : ROWAN GALLAGHER, The Irish Times

Tonight Friday 25th at 9pm you are being asked to repeatedly submit comments

    • email address
      Today

    • 21:00
  • Due to Edna Kenny`s state-of-the-nation style address on the treaty this Sunday night at 5.50pm and the Sinn Féin Ard Fheis in Killarney this weekend
    with Gerry Adams’s Address on Saturday televised on RTÉ1 at 5:30pm.
    Tonight Friday 25th at 9pm you are being asked to repeatedly submit comments to http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Your_Comments/
    The site only requires a valid email address.
    Open multiple browser tabs and have a selection of email addresses this will multiply the numbers.
    Systematically submit any comment using each email address per tab repeatedly for a period of 20 minutes.
    If enough people are prepared to do this it will overload the website server and the site will crash.

     

POSTED ON BEHALF OF : Event for Email en mass the website of the Department of an Taoiseach comment section · By Debate Ireland

Man in court over Facebook abuse

Profile shown on Thefacebook in 2005

 21-year-old man from County Antrim has appeared in court in connection with offensive comments posted on the social networking site Facebook.

Dean Boyd, of Skye Park, Ballymena, was charged over sectarian comments which included a call to kill all Catholics.

The court heard that Boyd had been celebrating his 21st birthday and had drunk a lot of alcohol at the time.

The judge imposed a fine of £250 and told Boyd that if he ever repeated the offence he would be sent to jail.

A defence solicitor told the court that 20 minutes after his client had posted the comments, he removed them from Facebook.

He said his client realised they were inappropriate and was entirely remorseful.

The court also heard that Dean Boyd’s partner is a Catholic and he had a child which is being brought up as a Catholic.

The case was brought after Sinn Fein MLA Daithi McKay made a complaint to police about the comments which were posted last summer.

District judge Richard Wilson told Boyd: “I hope you realise how inappropriate and stupid your comments are.

“It is comments like this that excite and exacerbate any tensions within this community and we can well do without it.”

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,772 other followers

%d bloggers like this: