PSNI/RUC blasts out ‘That’s the sound of da police’ to young people in North Belfast

The single Sound of da Police was released by rapper KRS-One in 1993
THE PSNI/RUC has been accused of antagonising young people in north Belfast after blasting out “That’s the sound of da police” from a Land Roverbut a senior officer insisted it was all in “good humour”.

A video appears to show the rap song being played through the vehicle’s public address system in the New Lodge area on Thursday evening.

Solicitor Michael Brentnall said he has referred the matter to the Police Ombudsman.

The incident took place days after local youths agreed to not to hold an anti-internment anniversary bonfire in the area.

In previous years the pyre, which is opposed by many residents, was blamed for anti-social behaviour and brought young people into conflict with police.

RNU peaceful protester is dragged away by the British PSNI/RUC yards from where US President Obama is speaking.
Footage of the Land Rover blasting out the chorus of the KRS-One track Sound of da Police has been shared widely.

The song, which includes the lyrics “Woop woop! That’s the sound of da police”, deals with themes of police brutality and attitudes to black people.

Police in Essex have previously accepted it was “inappropriate” to use a patrol car’s loudspeaker system to play it while driving through Chelmsford.

Another video in circulation also appears to show police using a Land Rover PA system before items are thrown at it.

“Last week the community united to prevent a repeat of last year’s disorder,” he said.

“Ever since the PSNI have been trying to provoke chaos by targeting children and antagonising residents.”

The community worker said he is concerned that children may react and ultimately end up in the criminal justice system.

“This behaviour threatens the welfare of community and the community does not seem to have anybody prepared to stand up and call it out.”

However, Chief Inspector Kelly Moore said the song was played by police “in good humour” and claimed young people cheered it.

“In relation to the first four-second video clip, local police officers on duty in north Belfast on Thursday evening had a very positive engagement with a group of young people,” she said.

“Having spent some time speaking with the young people, as police left the area, the song was played for a matter of seconds in good humour, with the young people waving, dancing and cheering.

“Any attempt by others to claim this was an attempt to antagonise does both the young people and the community a disservice.”

She added: “While we are making enquiries regarding the other five-second section of video footage, on occasion, when people look like they are about to throw items at police vehicles, officers do engage with them in a bid to defuse the situation.”

With many thanks to: The Irish  and Connla Young for the original story 

Follow this link to find out more: https://m.facebook.com/543603856018386/photos/a.550503671995071/1180651808980251/?type=3&source=48

 
 

‘ATTEMPTS TO MAKE ME A POLICE INFORMER LOST ME MY JOB’

‘They can lose me as many jobs as they want buy I am never going to work for [them] – Matt Johnston, pictured

A BELFAST man has claimed he lost his job after attempts were made to recruit him as a police informer. Matt Johnston, from the republican New Lodge area, said police seized his car outside an east Belfast warehouse where he worked last month.

kr

According to the father-of-two who has previous convictions, officers demanded to search his car at Castlereagh PSNI station after earlier raiding the house in north Belfast where his children live and visiting a recruitment agency in search of him. He says that while later walking to the station to pick up his car he was approached by two men as he walked along Dill Street, close to the former RUC interrogation centre.The 32-year-old says the men asked him to supply information about two Belfast-based republicans and refereed to his former membership of a residents group set up to support people in Carrick Hill opposed to loyalist parades past St Patrick‘s Church.

Johnston says that during the encounter the men told him they could arrange for him to lose his job. In June 2012 he was sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty to taking part in a tiger kidnap robbery in 2008. He served nine months in Maghaberry and was released last March due to time already served on remand. “Is this their new tactic, if you don’t work for us we will starve you into it?” he asked. “554902_127331307455451_502011840_n-1They wanted to rattle my cage and ttest the water with me to see what I was made of. They can lose me as many jobs as they want but I am never going to work for [them].” Politicians have routinely defended the use of informers to combat dissident Republican attacks. UUP justice minister Tom Elliot recently said that while everyone has the right to question security force tactics “they also have a right to prevent any acts of criminality and I support their right to do that”. A spokeswoman for the PSNI said: “We do not comment on intelligence matters and no inference should be drawn from this.”

With many thanks to : Connla Young, The Irish News.

LOYALIST PARADE IS A STEP BACKWARDS !!

Northern Irish mural in Belfast.

In a year which has already witnessed serious disorder at interface areas the last thing we need is an additional contentious march which will inevitably heighten tensions. The news that a loyalist band parade is due to take place next week close to the Tigers Bay and New Lodge flashpoint in North Belfast is a worrying development which will cause considerable dismay.

This area has been the scene of repeated sectarian clashs over the years but, thanks to the combined efforts of community workers, the number of  incidents has fallen significantly. It is therefore alarming that permission has been sought for a Parade in Tigers Bay with 17 Bands and 600 supporters to march to the North Queen Street interface next Friday Evening.

The march is intended to mark the 10th anniversary of the death of Glen Branagh, a 16-year-old killed when a pipe bomb he was about to throw exploded in his hand. His death took place against the backdrop of the Holy Cross protest which led to the increased sectarian violence and bitter division in North Belfast. It is those types of scenes we should be taking steps to avoid, with cross-comunity approach encorouged.

Of  particular concern is the suggestion that dissident Loyalists allied to former UDA leader Andre Shoukri are backing this Parade. Any such involvement can only be viewed with a sense of foreboding. The Parades Commission has not placed any restrictions on this march and it is disapointing it has not taken fuller account of the concerns expressed by Nationalists residents earlier this week. The Commision has called for a ” restrained and respectfull ” march and we can be very sure that this isn’t going to happen.

%d bloggers like this: