Six men arrested as part of a police investigation into republican paramilitary group (its a pity they don’t put the same effort into loyalist paramilitary activity, Pitt Park for example) the Irish National Liberation Army (INLA) have been released without any charges.
They were arrested in the Glen Road area of west Belfast on Tuesday night.
The men, aged 28, 36, 39, 42, 47 and 54, were released on bail on Thursday pending further enquiries, police said.
In making the arrests, officers used stun grenades and the Police Ombudsman has been informed.
SPY IN THE BAG “What really happened to MI6 agent”
MI6 and a senior detective have been accused of failing to disclose vital evidence in the death riddle of spy Gareth Williams.
A coroner suggested that the counter-terror officer, Detective Superintendent Michael Broster, was not being “completely impartial” towards secret services during the Scotland Yard inquiry.
Coroner Fiona Wilcox and the family’s lawyer both delivered angry outbursts after it emerged that nine computer memory sticks and a black bag were overlooked for 21 months after the death.
The lead detective on the case was told about the evidence only on Monday.
With many thanks to the: Belfast Telegraph and Tom Morgan
Follow this link to find out more: https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/spy-probably-killed-unlawfully-28744840.html
Adrian ‘Aidy’ Holland has been warned that pals of notorious Dublin hitman Robbie Lawlor, who was shot dead outside the north Belfast man’s home in April, are gunning for him.
The same gang carried out the revenge murder of Crossan at his mother’s home in the west of the city last weekend.
Shot Crossan’s pal flees to Spain in fear he’s next
A CLOSE criminal cohort of murder drug dealer Warren Crossan has fled Ireland. The Sunday World understands Adrian ‘Aidy’ Holland (pictured above) who is in his late twenties, left the country on Saturday night July 4th 2020. Fearing he will be the next target of the Dublin-based crime gang who murdered Crossan last Saturday morning. Crossan was shot dead in the St James’s area of West Belfast as he visited his mother. He was shot six times in the face by two gunmen who were acting in revenge for his involvement in the murder of Robbie Lawlor who was gunned down outside Adrian Holland’s home in Etna Drive in Ardoyne in April. Crossan lured the Dublin-based hitman to his death on the promise of collecting a car. On Saturday night Mr Holland fled the country fearing it was only a matter of time before he would suffer the same fate. The Sunday World understands he has fled to Spain where he has other criminal associates. We can also reveal that Crossan’s dissident criminal gang are not planning any form of retaliation, terrified of the capabilities of Lawlor’s gang who are hell-bent on revenge for his murder.
“Deep down Warren knew it was coming, he should have known that he would pay for what he did. In that world you don’t walk away without punishment. We all knew it was only a matter of time before he was taken out by the boys in Dublin,,” said one associate.
Crossan was facing trial in connection with a plot to smuggle £180,000 worth of cocaine across the border, concealed inside the door panels of a van stopped on the A1 at Sprucefield in November last year.
The curator of a loyalist museum has branded leaders of the East Belfast UVF drug dealers and said they should hang their heads in shame.
William McCaughey, who runs the Ballymac Friendship Centre off the Newtownards Road, also accused the terror gang of “torturing the Protestant people”.
The community worker made the comments in a social media video detailing UVF memorabilia on show at the centre’s museum.
He says at the end of the clip: “People usually ask me, what has the modern-day East Belfast UVF got to do with this museum? My answer has to be absolutely nothing.
“Why? What has cocaine strapping (loaning), criminality, hiking of bills, general torture of the Protestant population… what has that got to do with all this rich history.
“Why use those three letters and live on the backs of the people in this museum, the Ulstermen who have defended every part of Ulster for hundreds of years? Hang your heads in shame.”
East Belfast UVF sources dismissed his claims as “irrelevant” and not reflective of community feeling.
Mr McCaughey’s criticisms come after members of the mob murdered dad-of-two Ian Ogle, who was stabbed to death outside his home in Cluan Place last year after suffering 18 months of intimidation. The East Belfast UVF said the attack was not sanctioned at a leadership level.
Two months after the murder, a dozen people were charged in connection with an East Belfast UVF cocaine dealing investigation.
Both these incidents caused major internal tension within the wider terror gang.
The East Belfast UVF is a major target for the Paramilitary Crime Task Force – involving officers from the PSNI, the National Crime Agency and HM Revenue & Customs – which has made a number of raids and arrests aimed at breaking the gang’s lucrative criminal empire.
With many thanks to the: Belfast Telegraph and Ciaran Barnes for the original story
Michael Stone is self-isolating behind bars
Milltown massacre gunman Michael Stone fears he could die from coronavirus in jail.
The seriously ill multiple killer is among dozens of prisoners petitioning Justice Minister Naomi Long to be freed until the Covid-19 crisis ends.
Mrs Long announced on Monday that some prisoners are to be released temporarily from Northern Ireland’s jails in response to the crisis – but it will apply to “fewer than 200 individuals” who are entering the last three months of their imprisonment.
But because the 64-year-old loyalist was convicted of terrorist offences he will have to remain behind bars under new release criteria, which also excludes prisoners convicted of murder and sex offences.
Stone’s wife Karan told Sunday Life that her husband is now self-isolating in his cell at Maghaberry fearing that if he becomes infected with Covid-19 he will die.
Speaking on behalf of him and other “vulnerable prisoners”, she said: “Michael falls in the vulnerable prisoner category, and is trying to self-isolate and repeatedly requesting face masks and hand gel.
“He has always been fatalistic with a ‘you play, you pay’ attitude, but he should have the same basic human rights as anyone else. He is a husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather.”
Up to 200 prisoners set for early temporary release in Northern Ireland
Stone, who suffers from a heart condition, the rare debilitating Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 2F, and can barely walk, had an early release application turned down by the Sentence Review Commission (SRC) last September.
He argued that he should be freed on compassionate grounds because of his ill-health having already served 26 years of a minimum 30-year sentence for six sectarian killings, and the attempted murders of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness in 2006.
The ex-UDA hitman, who was convicted of six murders including three in his gun and grenade attack at the west Belfast graveyard, was originally freed early in 2000 as part of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement arrangements.
Six years later, however, he was sent back to jail after trying to enter Parliament Buildings at Stormont, armed with explosives, knives and an axe, in an attempt to murder the Sinn Fein leaders. He denied it had been a bid to kill the politicians, instead claiming it was an act of performance art.
After the SRC rejected his release bid Stone said he was resigned to being locked up until 2024.
But the threat of Covid-19 has led him to accuse the justice system of sentencing him to death should he not be among the dozens of prisoners released because of the crisis.
His wife Karan added: “Vulnerable prisoners of all ages and religions across Northern Ireland are being kept behind bars despite warnings that an outbreak in the jails is inevitable, and most likely ferocious given the lack of control over a spread.
“Last year alone saw a whole block at Maghaberry incapacitated by flu, and some inmates were hospitalised.
“So why are vulnerable prisoners any exception? Why should they be left just to serve their time? What a reckless and disgusting attitude.”
Members of the Assembly Justice Committee were briefed last Monday about plans to release dozens of inmates in order to relieve pressure on prisons during the Covid-19 crisis.
This is because Maghaberry, Magilligan and Hydebank jails are at breaking point with 165 prison officers – more than 10 per cent of the workforce – self-isolating with possible symptoms of the killer illness.
The dire situation is expected to get worse in the coming weeks as the infection rate in Northern Ireland soars.
To cope with this the Department of Justice (DoJ) has banned prison visits, while courts have scaled back on remanding suspected criminals into custody.
But by far the most drastic measure being implemented by justice chiefs is the release of some of Northern Ireland’s 1,600 prison population. However, this number will not include inmates convicted of terrorist offences, sex offenders, or domestic abusers.
Karan claimed: “This will lead to many more deaths in custody, something the Prison Service in Northern Ireland has become all too familiar with.
“These people have not lost their right to health or life. It’s about time these vulnerable prisoners were given a voice. They should all be released at this time. A jail sentence is not a death sentence.”
Asked about the criteria around the impending prisoner releases, a spokesperson for the NI Prison Service said: “In response to Covid-19 the focus for the Northern Ireland Prison Service is to protect and promote the health and safety of staff and the people in our care.
“The Prison Service has also taken significant steps to reduce the number of people coming into our prisons.
“No decisions have been taken regarding prisoner releases. Any decision will be based on a strict criteria and will be taken in full consultation with the Justice Minister.”
One inmate at Maghaberry Prison is currently in specially located accommodation away from the general population as “a precautionary move”. There have been no confirmed Covid-19 cases in jails here yet.
Prison staff share the same fears as inmates with several contacting Sunday Life to complain about feeling at risk due to a lack of personal protection equipment.
Desperate to avoid any more employees phoning in sick, prison bosses are offering big bonuses to those who remain in work. The payment structure is broken down in a leaked document seen by this newspaper.
It includes an extra £150 per month to any prison officer asked to work in a “contaminated environment”, and a further £160 for any member of staff required to accompany an ill inmate to “bed watch”.
Governors are also benefiting from the bonus with an added £1,000 per month for those remaining on duty during the Covid-19 crisis.
A second jail source also explained how strict social distancing measures were being ignored in the training of new officers.
The insider said: “A new group of 20 recruits started last Monday and will be in close contact for nine weeks. They may have been seated two metres apart in the classroom but this cannot be sustained during searching and handcuffing tutorials.”
Acknowledging the havoc caused by Covid-19 in prisons, Justice Minister Naomi Long said: “We have to manage this very carefully to make sure public safety is maintained and that we don’t overwhelm our prison service and that we’re also able to keep all those in our care safe and look after them.”
With many thanks to: The Sunday Life and the Belfast Telegraph and Caran Barnes for the original story
Thanks again for registering to take part in the Sperrins Challenge 2012. There are a few things we need to mention ahead of the walk.
Dogs are not permitted
Please note that, due to the Lambing Season, no dogs are permit on the hike. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
Protecting our environment – ‘Leave No Trace‘ approach
The organisers of the Sperrins Challenge are asking all participants to adopt a‘Leave No Trace’ approach and to leave the route of the hike in as good a condition, or better, than that in which they found it.
I have attached a link to Mountaineering Ireland’s recently adopted policy on Organised Events in Ireland’s Mountain Areas. This document includes practical guidelines for event organisers and also participants.
We hope that you will take a few minutes to consider how this policy and that you will take on board the positive spirit of the guidelines for the benefit of the mountains, the local community and other hillwalkers.
Should you require further information, please do not hesitate in getting in touch.
Thanks you in advance for your cooperation. Wishing you well for the Sperrins Challenge 2012!
Sperrins Challenge Organising Committee.
Hi Folks – This is the route which participants will be treading across the Sperrins on Saturday. Please assemble between 8am and 10am in Aghabrack for registration. Hope to see you all there
Video of the Sperrin Mountain Challenge in memory of the Loughgall Martyrs. Please watch & pass on
- 25,000 join Belfast Telegraph’s campaign to clean up litter blackspots (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Stones are Eternal by Stephen Emerson (500px.com)
- next time, watch your step (rkhouse.wordpress.com)
- Leave No Trace (sandysangha.wordpress.com)
- Flag Inappropriate and Offensive” – Boylan (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
“On humanitarian terms alone she should be moved to an outside hospital, never mind the fact that her continued imprisonment damages public confidence in the justice system.”
Mr McCartney said he had pressed the justice minister for the hospital transfer.
Meanwhile, Pat Ramsey met with the Secretary of State, Owen Paterson, to talk about Ms Price’s case. “In what was, at times, a heated exchange, we sought to question the Secretary of State about the rationale for the continued detention of Marian Price,” he said.
WITH MANY THANKS TO : BELFAST TELEGRAPH.
- Marian Price should be released now: MLAs (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- New Legal Bid Being Prepared to Get Release for 57 – Year – Old Marian Price ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- If you are against injustice and stand up for human rights please come along to this March and demand the immediate release of Marian Price. (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- United Nations Medic to Examine Price !!! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Terror Cgarges Against Four Republicans to Be “Resurrected” ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
AN ATTEMPT to name a north Belfast Street in memory of 15 people murdered in a Loyalist bombing which the then RUC claimed was an own goal and accused the McGurk family being personally involved in the bombing is back on the agenda, despite unionist opposition.
DUP councillor Brian Kingston opposed it. ” Is this the route we want to go down, renaming streets in Belfast after atrocities of the troubles, ” he asked.
- Sinn Fein set to support Belfast Diamond Jubilee events (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- The Siege of New Forge: Unionism’s latest pyrrhic triumph. (sluggerotoole.com)
- New UUP leader rules out electoral pact with DUP (leftfootforward.org)
- On Robinson as leader & the limitations of his ‘slightly conciliatory’ strategy (sluggerotoole.com)
- Talking about Reconciliation … (sluggerotoole.com)