A video appears to show the rap song being played through the vehicle’s public address system in the New Lodge area on Thursday evening.
Solicitor Michael Brentnall said he has referred the matter to the Police Ombudsman.
The incident took place days after local youths agreed to not to hold an anti-internment anniversary bonfire in the area.
In previous years the pyre, which is opposed by many residents, was blamed for anti-social behaviour and brought young people into conflict with police.
The song, which includes the lyrics “Woop woop! That’s the sound of da police”, deals with themes of police brutality and attitudes to black people.
Police in Essex have previously accepted it was “inappropriate” to use a patrol car’s loudspeaker system to play it while driving through Chelmsford.
Another video in circulation also appears to show police using a Land Rover PA system before items are thrown at it.
“Last week the community united to prevent a repeat of last year’s disorder,” he said.
“Ever since the PSNI have been trying to provoke chaos by targeting children and antagonising residents.”
The community worker said he is concerned that children may react and ultimately end up in the criminal justice system.
“This behaviour threatens the welfare of community and the community does not seem to have anybody prepared to stand up and call it out.”
However, Chief Inspector Kelly Moore said the song was played by police “in good humour” and claimed young people cheered it.
“In relation to the first four-second video clip, local police officers on duty in north Belfast on Thursday evening had a very positive engagement with a group of young people,” she said.
“Having spent some time speaking with the young people, as police left the area, the song was played for a matter of seconds in good humour, with the young people waving, dancing and cheering.
“Any attempt by others to claim this was an attempt to antagonise does both the young people and the community a disservice.”
She added: “While we are making enquiries regarding the other five-second section of video footage, on occasion, when people look like they are about to throw items at police vehicles, officers do engage with them in a bid to defuse the situation.”
With many thanks to: The Irish and Connla Young for the original story
Follow this link to find out more: https://m.facebook.com/543603856018386/photos/a.550503671995071/1180651808980251/?type=3&source=48
Ms Davidson said: “They had spoken to a man who saw Damien in a “distressed”state, with no socks or shoes on, later that evening. He told the man he was running from people who were after him”.
Follow these links to find out more: https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/police-investigating-circumstances-surrounding-death-18157693
In another incident a masked gang of up to 20 people, some armed with metal bars, tried unsuccessfully to hijack a man’s car.
There were further hijackings and attempted hijackings in the city last night, after similar incidents in recent days.
Youths threw petrol bombs, paint bombs and other missiles at police in two separate locations as officers responded to a hoax security alert on Skeoge Road and later to the hijacking of the recovery lorry near Galliagh roundabout. Police said around 150 young people had gathered close to the roundabout and officers were attacked.
Two to three men stopped the recovery vehicle and one of them poured fuel inside the lorry “covering the driver”.
“Both males managed to escape from the vehicle in what was a terrifying ordeal for them and get to safety before the truck was set alight.
“NIFRS and police attended the scene where a crowd of around 150 people had gathered. Some of those who had gathered threw missiles, including stones and bottles, at officers. A petrol bomb was also thrown but failed to ignite.
“As this was taking place, police received a report of an attempted hijacking in Galliagh Park where a woman was stopped by a young masked male who tried to take her vehicle – a black Kia – using a wheelbrace. The woman managed to flee to safety. Damage was caused to the car door, and the woman was understandably left shaken.”
Police said the third incident took place at around 12:40am today when a van was hijacked and set alight in Fergleen Park.
Another attempted hijacking was reported just after 2am when up to 20 masked people, some armed with metal bars, tried unsuccessfully to hijack a man’s car on Fairview Road
A number of vehicles were also hijacked in the city on Tuesday August 4.
Derry and Strabane District Commander Chief Superintendent Emma Bond said the violence was “not representative of this city” and was taking place against the backdrop of the death and funeral of former SDLP and civil rights leader John Hume.
She said police had gathered evidence with a view to making arrests and asked community and elected representatives to continue using their influence.
“This has been the third night of disorder in our city at the hands of cowards determined to cause disruption in our communities. It is unacceptable and I am very disappointed people made a deliberate decision to go out onto the streets and cause trouble,” CS Bond said.
“Yesterday, the world’s media was focused on the city as John Hume was laid to rest. The scenes in our communities last night are not representative of this city.
“I want to stress the disorder we have seen on our streets over the past few nights has been caused by a minority of people who have absolutely no regard for our communities being impacted, and the people who live here.”
CS Bond had a message for onlookers.
“I would also urge anyone, including those who gathered to watch this disorder last night to understand this is not entertainment. This is dangerous, reckless activity, which has a significant impact on not only the people whose vehicles were targeted, but also on the local communities.”
She thanked community and elected representatives who had been on the ground last night and asked them to continue to use their influence “to help us maintain control of the situation so we don’t have another night of disorder and our communities don’t come under attack again”.
“We have gathered evidence in relation to these incidents and are working to identify those responsible and those involved and we can assure the public we will be working towards making arrests,” she added.
With many thanks to: The Irish News and Maeve Connolly for the original story
Follow this link to find out more: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2581160008805557&id=100007347489920
With many thanks to: Joe Barr and Shauna Kildea for the original posting
TWO police officers charged with possessing a loaded gun while drunk or on drugs (or both) may face further charges, a judge heard on Thursday July 2nd 2020.
Constables Samuel David Beattie (24) and Paul Coulter (24) did not appear at Lisburn Magistrates Court and none of the facts were opened in court but a police officer gave evidence that he believed he could connect the pair to their respective charges. Beattie and Coulter, both with addresses at PSNI Headquarters, are jointly accused of having a loaded firearm while drunk “or under the influence of drugs” on June 7th this year. While Coulter is also accused of supplying a loaded gun to a person he “knew or had reasonable cause to believe was drunk or under the influence of drugs,”
Beattie is charged with causing criminal damage to a roof belonging to a female. The charges arise after the police were called to a house party in Dunmurry in the early hours after a shot was allegedly fired a legally-held weapon into the kitchen ceiling. It is understood police arrived at the scene and the loaded weapon was recovered and people arrests were made. A prosecuting lawyer revealed the officers may face “possible additional charges” so the Public Prosecutions Service were seeking a four week adjournment. District Judge Nigel Broderick put the case for mention on July 3oth.
With many thanks to: The Irish News for the original story
Follow these links to find out more: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/psni-officers-accused-of-being-drunk-with-firearm-could-face-further-charges-39336125.html
In recent weeks, PSNI carried out 25 searches across Northern Ireland as part of the National Crime Agency-led operation, Operation Venetic, working in collaboration with several other law enforcement partners across Europe and internationally.
‘Op Venetic’ targeted organised crime groups operating using encrypted technology in a bid to evade law enforcement. To date, PSNI searches here in Northern Ireland have resulted in the seizure of 15 ‘Encro’ phones and more than £360,000 in cash.
Detective Chief Superintendent Freeburn said: “I’m really proud to tell you about the role that the Police Service of Northern Ireland have played in this.
“We all know that serious and organised criminals pose a significant risk of harm to the people of Northern Ireland. They are responsible for bringing in drugs and firearms into our communities and deal in fear and exploitation which can bring misery to many.
“This has been the largest and most significant law enforcement operation ever mounted in the United Kingdom in the fight against organised crime groups. It has focused on attacking their use of encrypted communication called Encro devices on which individual members of crime groups co-ordinate their illegal activities.
“The organised crime groups thought that by using encrypted technology they could fly below the radar of law enforcement, however this operation should send a clear message that the combined strength of PSNI working in partnership with our law enforcement partners that no-one is beyond the reach of the law.
“Over the past couple of months, Detectives from our Criminal Investigations Branch have worked tirelessly with our partners in the National Crime Agency and Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs in reviewing this material and assessing what criminal offences have been committed.”
As well as the Encro phones and cash, suspected Class A and B drugs were seized, including 2.5kgs of suspected cannabis and cocaine. Three high-value vehicles and numerous pieces of documentation, laptops, a number of items of jewellery and designer handbags were also seized. Significantly, PSNI has mitigated over 15 threats to life during the operation.
Detective Chief Superintendent Freeburn: “We have secured evidence to prosecute a significant number of known criminals who thought they were beyond our reach. In Northern Ireland we have charged five people, four of whom have all been remanded in custody and one on High Court bail. The 44 charges range from conspiracy to commit murder, possession of significant amounts of criminal property, various drugs offences involving Class A and Class B drugs including conspiracy to import and also being concerned in the supply.
“This morning (Thursday, 2nd July) we have also arrested a 64-year-old man in the Newry area. Searches are currently ongoing and so we have seized another high end vehicle so far.
“And there will more to come as we continue to disrupt this criminal network operating here in Northern Ireland who have links to criminals both nationally and internationally.”
Deputy Director of Investigations for Northern Ireland, Scotland and the North of England, Craig Naylor, NCA said: “Operation Venetic is unprecedented across Northern Ireland, the United Kingdom and Europe. It is the broadest and most significant co-ordinated piece of activity into serious organised crime intended to cause significant damage to organised crime groups.
“The NCA has worked with international partners and every single police force across the UK, to achieve these extraordinary results. Our partnerships with policing and especially the PSNI has allowed us to operate to dismantle groups that were previously thought to be beyond the reach of law enforcement.
“By working together we have penetrated organised criminal networks who thought they were untouchable by seizing significant amounts of criminal cash, stopping firearms and drugs reaching our streets to protect the people of Northern Ireland.”
With many thanks to the: PSNI NI, was directly taken from their website
A Co Tyrone man who served a prison term for weapons offences has won the legal right to challenge new powers aimed at cracking down on terrorist activity.
Damien McLaughlin was granted leave at the High Court to seek a judicial review of legislation police can use to obtain search warrants.
Lawyers for the 43-year-old claim his right to privacy is being breached by a regime which also means he must inform the authorities about any foreign travel arrangements.
In 2011 McLaughlin, from Kilmascally Road in Ardboe, received a four and a half year sentence for having rifles and possessing articles for use in terrorist purposes.
Seven years later he was cleared of separate charges linked to the November 2012 killing of prison officer David Black.
But at one stage, while on bail, McLaughlin went missing for nearly four months.
He was detained again in Co Donegal in March 2017, and extradited back to Northern Ireland for a trial which ultimately collapsed.
McLaughlin is now challenging the PSNI and the Home Secretary over provisions contained within the Counter-Terrorism and Border Security Act 2019.
His legal team contend that police can obtain a warrant to search property without having to show reasonable suspicion.
Issues have also been raised about a requirement to provide personal details and information on any planned trips.
The new regime is unfair and incompatible with McLaughlin’s human rights, it was claimed.
Counsel for the authorities under challenge, Neasa Murnaghan QC, insisted the powers were aimed at “frustrating” terrorism.
But following submissions Mr Justice McAlinden ruled that an arguable case had been established.
He granted leave to apply for a judicial review, with a full hearing listed for later
With many thanks to: The Irish News for the original story