Government ‘delaying files on state-sponsored murders’
THE British government has been accused of frustrating the release of files that expose a “state-sponsored programme of assassination” in the North of Ireland.
A lawyer for the family of Belfast father-of-three shot dead by loyalist paramilitaries during the Troubles made the claim during a coroner’s court hearing ahead of a new inquest into his murder. Gerard Slane (27) was shot dead by the UDA at his home on Waterville Street, West Belfast, in 1988. Barrister Fiona Doherty said the extent of collusion between loyalist paramilitaries and the security forces in the murder was “as bad as it gets” as she demanded an explanation for delays in disclosing police and military files to the inquest. “This was a state-sponsored assassination programme going on here which Gerad Slane was an entirely innocent victim,” she told coroner Suzanne Anderson at a preliminary hearing in Belfast Coroner’s Court. Ms Doherty was responding to the revelation that it will likely take at least six more months before sensitve RUC/PSNI and MoD files are handed over to the coroner. Collusion between loyalists and the RUC and other security force elements has been detailed in a series of official investigations in the years since the Troubles ended. Separate probes by former Metropolitan Police commissioner Lord Stevens, retired Canadian judge Peter Cory and most recently Sir Desmond de Silva QC have all examined collusion of state involvement in murders committed during the Troubles. Particular focus was placed on the de Silva report on Thursday 27th of November at the hearing in Belfast. In 2011 Prime Minister David Cameron commissioned Sir Desmond to assess claims of collusion in the murder of Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane by loyalists and British state agents in 1989. His probe also examined Mr Slane’s murder. Notorious state agent Brian Nelson, a UDA man working for British Intelligence who died in 2003, is understood to have been involved in planning both killings. Ms Doherty asked why Sir Desmond had been able to obtain all the information he needed from the state to compile his report within a year, yet the coroner was still waiting for the same material over three years since the inquest was ordered by the attorney general John Larkin QC. “[Sir Desmond] was able to be provided with all the material he saw as relevant not just in regard to the murder of Pat Finucane but also the murder of Gerard Slane and the structures and system that facilitated both those murders,” she said. “He was provided with all that material and was able to produce a comprehensive two volume report by December 2012. That was two years ago. “Two years after he reported we have got a fraction of that material and we don’t know when we will get the rest.” The barrister was heavily critical of written responses to requests from the coroner from Secretary of State Theresa Villiers and the Cabinet Office. The letters suggested they may hold relevant material but asked for further information from Ms Anderson. The court heard that a reply has not been received to a similar letter sent to the Public Prosecution Service. “You know, madame coroner, the dogs on the street know, it is publicly known that Sir Desmond de Silva’s report contained information about Gerard Slane,” Ms Doherty said. What is going on here? Why are people not answering letters? Why are people questioning the fact they hold relevant material? “This court is being treated with something akin to contempt.” In regard to the lack of reply from the prosecution service, Ms Doherty said: “If nothing else that is the height of discourtesy.” She said a representive from the NIO should come to court to explain the delays. Barrister Mark Robinson, representing the RUC/PSNI and the MoD, said the Cory and de Silva reports were based on vast volumes of material. He asked for more details on specific material requested to expedite the disclosure process. The lawyer said it was vital that all documents were rigorously security checked before being handed to the coroner. He also noted the volume of work facing authorities in terms of other legacy inquests. “The process is being engaged in,” he said. “But we must ensure what goes out is safe. That takes time, it takes careful analysis of documents and it must be viewed in the context of the number of these inquests and the pressures upon those performing the exercise. “These matters are being expedited as fast as they can be in the circumstances.” Ms Anderson asked Ms Doherty to outline her concerns in a written submission and said she would forward those on to the relevant authorities for response.
With many thanks to: David Young, The Irish News, for the orgional story.