Many people are rightly praising Nelson Mandela today, along with Bobby Sands probabily the most globally known political prisoner, and remembering the injustice of his incarceration for over two decades into his 60s.
Less than 10 miles from Belfast there is a man named Martn Corey, aged 63, in Maghaberry Gaol. Martin served 20 years of a life sentence, was released, and and over three years ago was returned to prison with no evidence, no reason given, no right to defend himself – all at the stroke of a pen by a British Secretary of State who has not one vote or any right in Ireland. He has no release date and could die in prison. Where are the Free Martin Corey concerts? Where are the pop stars and celebrities queuing up to attach themselves to Martin’s cause? Where are the trendy lefties with their Free Martin Corey protests? Where is the voice of political parties, so keen to attach themselves to Mandela, Castro and Chavez, demanding and taking to the streets en masse for Martin Corey’s release? Nowhere, because somtimes it is easier to seek credibility through a struggle thousands of miles away, than oppose what is happening right in front of your eyes !!!
With many thanks to: Dee Fennell
- End the unjust barbaric treatment of Martin Corey (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Martin Corey appeal rejected by London court (irishtimes.com)
- Top judges reject bid by killer Martin Corey for release (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Corey’s bail plea is rejected (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- #releasemartincorey twitter campaign 8pm 11/11/13 (rsfmidlands.wordpress.com)