Martin Corey is a former Provisional IRA member. In 1973, he took part in a Provisional IRA ambush on the Royal Ulster Constabulary in Aghalee along with two other Volunteers, Peter McVeigh and William Meehan. One RUC officer; Constable Raymond Wylie, died instantly. Constable Robert McCauley died on 25 March 1973, almost one month after the initial incident.
In December 1973, Martin Corey, along with his two comrades, was found guilty of the shooting and sentenced to life imprisonment inside the H-Blocks. He was released in June 1992.
He was taken back into custody on April 16, 2010, on the basis of “closed material”. On July 9, Justice Treacy ruled that Martin Corey’s human rights had been breached and he should be released immediately on unconditional bail. This was overruled by Secretary of State, Shaun Woodward.
On July 10, the matter was referred back to the court. The matter was to be reviewed by Justice McCloskey who further stayed corey’s release until an appeal court could hear it the next day. An appeal was heard on July 11, with Justice McCloskey and Justice Morgan. That court upheld the Secretary of States’ overruling, and referred it to be heard again on September 28, 2012.
Martin Corey was granted compassionate leave to attend the funeral mass of his brother who died in May, 2012. That decision was brought to the High Court in Belfast who upheld it. Leave was eventually granted on the condition that two members of the Northern Ireland Assembly and his lifelong friend Jim McIlmurray accompany him.
He was born in Lurgan, Co. Armagh, Ireland.
- End the Illegal Internment of Martin Corey Now !!!! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Veteran Republican Has Parole Hearing Cancelled (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Smash Internment – Release Martin Corey (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Today, September 2nd 2013, is the 63rd Birthday of Martin Corey – RELEASE HIM NOW !!! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- End Internment – Release Martin Corey (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- International Day of Action for Republican POW’s on October 8, 2011 (supportthepows.wordpress.com)
- Forced strip search of Pomeroy woman a ‘Brutal Sex Assault’ ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Human Rights Journalist who recieved death threat from UK military group allowed temporary asylum in Russia (google-law.blogspot.com)