Relatives want access to atrocity report
RELATIVES of those killed in the McGurk’s Bar bombing are to issue High Court proceedings to gain access to a Historical Enquires Team (HET) report on the atrocity.
The families were told that the HET investigation into the 1971 bombing of the family-run Belfast pub in which 15 men, women and children died had beencompleted in December last year. The HET began investigating the attack in 2006. The bombing was carried out by the UVF but the RUC brifed media outlets that it had been an IRA ‘own goal’. Despite repeated requests to both the HET and Chief Constable Matt Baggott’s office the report has still not been made available to the ffamilies. They have also lodged a complaint to the Police Ombudsman‘s office. The families claim the report’s release is being deliberately blocked from public scrutiny. Last month HM Inspectorate of Constabulary issued a damning report into the poor performance of the HET which concluded that the body had failed to properly investigate state killings.
There were calls for thecold case murder team to be scrapped in light of the report and because of a lack of public confidence. “We can confirm the families have instructed us to commence legal proceedings in the High Court in Belfast to get access to the report,” solicitor Kevin winters, who represents some of the families, said. “They do so reluctantly but have no choice.” Some of the families also plan to lodge an additional complaint today with the Policing Board. Ciaran Mac Airt, whose grandmother Kathleen Irvine died in the atrocity, said: “The state and its security forces conspired to criminalise our loved ones when they fabricated a story that the bomb was in transit and that customers were being schooled in bomb making. “To clear their good names or families have been forced to campaign against police lies and intransigence for two generations. “By blocking the release of the HET report into the death of our loved ones, the chief constable of the reformed Police Service of Northern Ireland is quite simply retraumatising our family members. “Our families have suffered enough.”
With many thanks to : Allison Morris, The Irish News.
- Families in bid for McGurk’s report (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Families in a bid for McGurks bar explosion report (newsletter.co.uk)
- Board to Discuss Report on Het (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Appeal for Witnesses to 1975 Pub Bombing ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- McGurk accused the ‘last man standing’ (smh.com.au)
- New pressure over HET leadership (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Het Collapse Exposes Governments’ Failings (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Victims’ Families: ‘Scrap Het’ !!! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Police chief in talks with HET head (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Het-bloody Sunday Inquiry Move Angers Campaigners ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)