THE Parades Commission is expected to delay issuing a determination on the controversial Ardoyne parade after it was reported last night a loyalist residents group is to make a statement that will pave the way for talks between the Orange Order and nationalists in North Belfast.
Talks have been ongoing between loyalist and the nationalist community represtatives for several weeks in a bid to reach a solution to the contested section of the Crumlin Road passed the Ardoyne shop fronts. The area has been the scene of violence in the past when nationalist youths clashed with police following the passing of parades by Ligionel Orange lodge along the Crumlin Road. Nationalist residents also staged a sit down protest on the road in 2011 in a bid to prevent the Orange Order from marching the contested section of the route. The Parades Commission were meant to issue a determination in relation to the Twelfth of July parade along the Crumlin Road this week.
However, it is now beleived they have delayed making a decision ahead of last minute moves to bring the Orange Order and members of the Shame Fein alligned residents group the Crumlin and Ardoyne Residents Association (CARA) togeather for face to face talks.The Loyalist Orders lifted their ban on direct talks with residents over a year ago.
It was reported last night that a statement from loyalist residents of Twaddell and Woodvale urging talks between Shame Fein alligned CARA and the Orange Order was imminent. If well received it would be the first time Orange lodges in North Belfast have talked to nationalists face to face in relation to what remains the North of Ireland‘s most volatile parading route.
- Orange lodges agree to talk to nationalist residents in Ardoyne (newsletter.co.uk)
- Orange Order Agrees to Hold Talks With Ardoyne Resdients Group (belfastdaily.co.uk)
- Loyalists: Order should engage (bbc.co.uk)
- Shame Fein Warns Against Disrupting Parades (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Commission Criticized for Ruling That Put No Major Restrictions on Orange Parade ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Twaddell residents call for the Orange Order to speak to nationalists residents (newsletter.co.uk)