Tensions have been high at the interface between the nationalist Short Strand and loyalist Clean Place area. On Monday night missiles and petrol bombs were again thrown over the peace wall and onto Bryson Street. No-one was injured in the attack. A similar attack at the weekend resulted in a four-year-old girl narrowly escaping injury when a petrol bomb landed in the garden she was playing in. Sinn Fein councillor Niall O Donnghaile said people in the area are angry that to date “not a single arrest has been made”. “After three months of failing this ccommunity during the flag protests, the PSNI must be seen to act to deal with those hell bent on attacking family homes,” he said.
“All residents living across both sides of the interface have to be able to live in peace in their own homes. “Once again I am calling on the political leadership of unionism and loyalism to state clearly that these attacks must stop immediately.” Alliance Party councillor Maire Hendron said it was “unsettling that some still felt the need to resort to these violent measures, rather that engaging across the community to find a lasting peacefulsolution”. “We cannot allow those opposed to a shared future and a better Northern Ireland to dictate how we live within our communities,” she said. “It is incidents like these that deflect attention away from the good community work across the area.”
With many thanks to : Allison Morris, Irish News.
- Police Uncover Petrol Bomb ‘Factory’ in East Belfast (belfastdaily.co.uk)
- Three arrested over petrol bombs find in east Belfast (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Police Probe Petrol Bomb Attack at East Belfast Interface (belfastdaily.co.uk)
- Further petrol bomb attacks in east Belfast (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Hate crime probe over Cluan Place petrol bomb attack (newsletter.co.uk)
- Petrol bombs thrown across peace line (newsletter.co.uk)
- Girl (4) Injured As Petrol Bomb Explodes Beside Her ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)