Save Moore Street Dublin
Sean Healy – One of the youngest martyrs of 1916. Joined the Fianna at the age of 13. He was drilled by Sean Heuston.
Sean Healy must be one of the youngest soldiers who died on active service, as Willie Neilson is the youngest ever executed. Willie Neilson also was 15 years of age when he was hanged for carrying Henry Joy McCracken‘s Mobilisation Order in 1798.
Sean Healy — the boy Healy — was the youngest martyr of the 1916 Rising. Born at Phibsboro, Dublin, in 1901, he was educated at the adjacent St. Peter’s N.S. On leaving school he was apprenticed to the plumbing trade with his father and at thirteen years of age he joined Fianna Eireann. On Easter Sunday night he helped his father to move arms and ammunition in preparation for the Rising. All day on Monday he waited expectantly for his mobilisation order. But he waited in vain, as the Fianna executive had decided that the younger boys were not to be called upon. On Tuesday morning he decided to go out and fight without orders. So he made his way across town and reported for duty to Commandant Thomas MacDonagh in Jacob’s Factory, near Aungier Street.
Some hours later he was given an urgent dispatch to carry to the officer commanding at Phibsboro Bridge. On his way he stopped at his home to let his mother know that he was safe and well. He left home within a few minutes and he had travelled only a short distance when he was shot at Byrne’s Corner, Phibsboro. As he lay fatally wounded his dying words were, “God bless the Volunteers”. He is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.
- Curious Journey – The 1916 Easter Rising (cedarlounge.wordpress.com)
- Oglach Peatsai O hEadhra (Patsy O’Hara) 11 July 1957 – 21 May1981 (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- ‘Onh’ Force Psni Retreat From Twinbrook. an Analysis on Recent Armed Actions ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Liam (William Joseph) Mellows ( 25 May 1895 – 8 December 1922 ) (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- #Thatcher: Ten Children Dead (sluggerotoole.com)