Colin Duffy reads a tribute at the unveiling of a new headstone for former INLA leader Dominic McGlinchey in Bellaghy last year
A COMMEMORATION to murdered INLA chchief Dominic McGlinchey and his wife Mary was held in Bellaghy on Saturday. High-profile republicans – including Colin Duffy who a dressed last years event – were among those at the event in the Co Derry town.
The McGlincheys ‘ granddaughter read out the Proclamation while a grandson read an open letter to his grandparents before former IRA prisoner Anthony McIntyre gave the main address. McIntyre, from West Belfast but living in Co Louth, said he was ” honered ” to attend the event. He said the couple had left a ” politicial legacy “. ” When we depart from here this evening we will not be leaving the graves of two criminals but the final resting place of two Irish Republican political activates who through circumstances not created by them took up arms to confrount the armed repression of the British state,” he said. During the commemoration a statement was read out by Co Tyrone republican Kevin Murphy on behalf of dissident republicans prisoners in Maghaberry’s Row 4 landing. Prisoners are unhappy that talks aimed at ending forced strip searchs in the prison have failed to materialise since they now ended a ‘ no wash ‘ protest last November. The protest ended just weeks after a group styling itself ‘ the IRA ‘ shot dead prison officer David Black as he made his way to work at Maghaberry Prison. ” The jail adminstration’s lack of willingness to engage with this process in a way that is genuine and effective only poisons the atmosphere and recreates the conflict-fulled envioronment that exsisted in the past,” the statement read.
With many thanks to : Connia Young, Irish News.
- Dissidents Blamed for Bomb Blast ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Dissident Ex-prisoner Has Release License Revoked (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Would-be Bomber Tidied Up After Funeral Shots, Court Told ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Irscna Easter Statement 2013 (thefivedemands.org)
- Irsp Easter Statement 2013 (thefivedemands.org)
- Prominent businessman paid RIRA €200,000 to protect him (independent.ie)
- Businessman with political links paid RIRA €200k (independent.ie)