NEW Figures reveal it cost almost £200,000 to house Old Bailey Bomber Marian Price in Maghaberry Prison for a nine month period before she was moved to Hydebank women’s prison earlier this year.
The 58-year-old, who served time in jail in 1973 for her part in the bombing of the Old Bailey and Scotland Yard which killed one person and injured 200 others, was returned to prison last year for her involvement at a dissident republican rally in Derry.
Speaking after Price was accused of encouraging support for an illegal organisation at the event in the city’s cemetery, Secretary of State Owen Paterson said her licence had been revoked because the threat she posed had ” significantly increased”. Price, also known by her married name McGlinchey, had previously been arrested during the investigation into the 2009 murders of two soilders at Massereene Army Barracks.
Later she was charged with providing a mobile phone for the purposes of terrorism. A Freedom of Information request revealed that the total cost of holding her in Maghaberry – an all-male-prison-until February 17th was £194,537, Among the costs were £693 for food, more than £3,000 for refurbishment of the wing and almost £190,000 to staff the unit.
Price had been sent to Maghaberry following her arrest last year but was then moved to Hydebank on the advice of health trust staff.
WITH MANY THANKS TO : SARAH FOX, BELFAST TELEGRAPH.
- Marian Price moved from Maghaberry to Hydebank (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- SF call for Price release after visit (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Marian Price being held is ‘internment’: Priest (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Report on MagHaberry for UNHRW (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Secretary of State refuses to meet Derry MLA on Price and McGeough prison cases (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)