Breakaway IRA group Oglaigh na hEireann (ONH) has said it has recovered intelligence on the PSNI and British Army in the North from a mobile phone dropped by a member of the PSNI during an arrest operation.
The ONH revealed the find in a coded telephone call to a Belfast newsroom this week. Among the files recovered from the phone were details of Crown force operations, as well as photographs of PSNI members and soldiers.
Using a recognised codeword, ONH said it had “gleaned whatever information needed” from the phone which a spokesperson said had been in the group’s possession “for over a year”.
The spokesperson added: ‘ONH will continue to exploit weaknesses where we find them.’
The revelation comes a month after a British soldier had a narrow escape from an ONH attack following a separate breach of Crown force security.
The PSNI has now told at least 13 of its members that their personal details were in the hands of ONH.
A number of embarrasing photographs were subsequently published in the press, including one of a PSNI member on regular patrol wearing paramilitary combat fatigues; and another of two PSNI men sitting on the thrones in the Throne Room at Hillsborough Castle, beneath the queen’s coat of arms.
Mr Hussey said: “No police officer should carry a mobile phone with them whilst on duty.”
- Dissidents get PSNI woman’s phone (bbc.co.uk)
- PSNI base targeted in south Armagh (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Dissidents’ booby-trap bomb bid to kill soldier – Belfast Telegraph (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Ruc/psni Silence Over Film Set Nightmare ( Double Standerds) (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Ruc/psni Brutality Must End – Psni-ruc Whats the Diference – Different Name But Same Game (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)