The verdict delivered in the trial of Colin Duffy and Brian Shivers yesterday is an indictment of British courts in Ireland. This trial from the outset was a show trial attempting to secure a guilty conviction against Republicans. The failure of the PSNI to apprehend those who were involved in the attack led them to try and frame these two men. We welcome the fact that Colin Duffy was acquitted as it was the only realistic verdict to reach given the total lack of credible evidence. However Brian Shivers, a man with a terminal illness has now been made a scapegoat for the failure of the PSNI. The sentence imposed upon Brian is in effect a death sentence and a gross violation of the due process of justice. Both these men wer…e denied the right to trial by a jury and instead had to face the prospect of a British judge being the sole authority. These courts are now being used as a tool of repression against all those who take a stand against the status quo.The internment of Marian Price on trumped up charges continues and the prisoners continue to be beaten and harassed by prison officers before their appearances in these diplock courts. We urge all Republicans and human rights advocates to stand behind Brian and his family, and those who remain interned in Maghaberry. To remain silent in the face of such violation of human rights is to acquiesce to it.
Posted On Behalf Of : 21 January 2012, 19:38:45 | firstname.lastname@example.org (32csm)
- Brian Shivers guilty of Massereene murders (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Brian Shivers launches Massereene legal challenge (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Marian Price sent to Maghaberry for “operational reasons” (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- 32csm New Year Statement 2012 (thefivedemands.org)
- Statement Gaughan Stagg Cumann (32CSM) (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)