Blog Archives

Loyalists troll Twelfth TV documentary teen

A TEENAGER has been bombarded with threatening and abusive messages from loyalist internet trolls after appearing in a BBC documentary about the Twelfth. Tania Lavery was forced to delegate her Twitter account after receiving a barrage of of offensive messages including death threats and rape threats.

1074821_656502534378207_1885965118_o

The 19-year-old took part in the BBC Three show Petrol Bombs and Peace: Welcome :-) mentto Belfast which focused on Twelfth of July tensions in the north of the city. One alarming image posted following the broadcast on Monday evening attempted to identify her Ardoyne home. Ms Lavery’s experience comes amid increasing concern over Twitter trolls – people who send abusive messages using the social network – threatening rape and violence against women. Labour MP Stella Crash is among a host of high-profile recent targets. Earlier this week it also emerged that 14-year-old Leicestershire scoolgirl Hanna Smith had taken her own life as a result of relentless cyber bullying on the Ask.FM social-networking site. Ms Lavery, a former pupil of Holy Cross Primary School, said she is afraid to be in her own home and has had difficulty sleeping since receiving the death threats.

“A man wrote that he hopes I get raped at the bus stop and talked about how I’m a tramp, that I’m a bigoted scumbag,” she said. “My phone literally wouldn’t stop because I had over a hundred friend requests on Facebook. “They found my Twitter and they found my YouTube because I sing and they are making fun of it. “I deleted my Twitter because people were just making up lies.” The documentary followed BBC reporter Alys Harte as she spoke to Orange bandsmen and young Catholics in Ardoyne ahead of this year’s Twelfth. Ms Slavery and her friend Rosin Holmes (18), are from a Catholic background, gave their views and told of their experiences. Both have since received abuse online. Ms Slavery said she was determined to cope with the threats. “They think that all this stuff is going to change who I am but it’s not,” she said. “Yes, I am afraid to be in my house and I’m afraid to go outside on my own but it’s not going to change me.” Ms Slavery said some Orange men involved in the programs had sent her supportive messages online. “The guy that messaged me said we should all go for a drink sometime, even though we were both on the show and we clearly had different opinions,” she said.

With many thanks to : Brendan HughesThe Irish News.

TWELFTH SAGA GETS ONLINE COMEDY TREATMENT !!!

The social and political chaos surrounding the Twelfth has become a comedy goldmine for internet satiristsBrendan Hughes looks at the lighthearted online reaction to the North’s volatile parading season.

THE news this week has been dominated by the Twelfth and its violent aftermath. But amid the alarming scenes of disorder on the streets and heated political debate at Stormont, many people have managed to see the funny side.

Loyalists Against Demacracy (LAD)

Events surrounding the Twelfth have provided an irresistible abundance of material crying out to be mocked and parodied. And most of this northern satire has devoloped online, through social networking websites. From flag protester Willie Frazer‘s latest arrest to the towering loyalist bonfires, Facebook and Twitter users have eagerly made light of the north’s annual parading season problems. One picture of a Twelfth rioter being flushed from atop a police Land Rover by water cannon has become a mini internet sensation, wwith numerous different parodies. ‘Loyalists Against Democracy’ (LAD), which was set up late last year during the Union Flag protests in Belfast, pictured above, is one of the north’s most popular satirical Facebook pages with more than 3,000 followers. Its team of voluntary contributors have entertained a poster for a fake electronic cigerette called the ‘e-fleg’, which enables loyalists to “display their Britishness” with “a harmless vapour”.

They also created pictures of Egyptian pyrmid-sizes bonfires and Willie Frazer superimposed into a poster from the TV show Breaking Bad. “People have accused us of inventing Willie Frazer because they think he’s an actor that we hire. He’s a great comic creation,” said a Belfast-based contributor to the Facebook page, who did not wish to be named. “The Twelfth has provided too much am

munition almost. There’s too much to keep up with.” Derry-based satirical Facebook page ‘Pure Derry’, which has more than 14,000 followers, created an image for the Twelfth showing William of Orange driviking a forklift in front of a bonefire. “The whole concept of shifting tyres and pallets I just find incredibly amusing,” the page’s creator and main contributor said. “The reaction has been great. It’s so specialised that it’s a very quirky sense of humour.” Comedian and prominent Twitter user Jake O’Kane gained hundreds of new Twitter followers during the Twelfth due to his tweets. “The problem with being a political satirist in the North of Ireland is that you just have to open the paper and repeat what is said. It’s farcical,” he said. O’Kane said social media has allowed many more people to get involved in political satire. “With social media now everybody can be a political satirist, or try to be,” he said. “It has been opened up a lot more so it seems that it has exploded but it has always been there in the background. “The nice thing about it is that there would be people who wouldn’t have the b***s to go up on stage but they now have a voice.” But the Belfast-based comedian warned that some social networking attempts at satire can become childish and abusive. “If you look at a lot of of social media unfortunately it’s the lowest common denominator. It’s like any new technology, it’s as much abused as used,” he said.

With many thanks to : Brendan Hughes. The Irish News.

Related Articles:

★ DADDY YANKEE + PRINCE ROYCE ☆ MARDI 25 JUIN ☆

601682_4778999993090_743609832_n

DADDY YANKEE & PRINCE ROYCE ☆★ MARDI 25 JUIN…

Public

Hosted by Jx SoonNight and Jx Lokomia

Invite Friends

When

25 June at 18:00 in UTC+02

Where

Zenith de Paris

75019 Paris, France

Get directions

Details

★ DADDY YANKEE + PRINCE ROYCE ☆ MARDI 25 JUIN ☆ ZENITH DE PARIS ★

• LOKOMIA CLUB, VERSUS AGENCY & HARISSA MUSIC Présentent Au Zénith De Paris : Après Dimanche 23 Juin Complet.. Mardi 25 Juin 20h00, DADDY YANKEE && PRINCE ROYCE En Concert !!

• DADDY YANKEE : “The Big Boss“, Le Meilleur Artiste Reggaeton Mondial, Star International Tout Droit Venue De Puerto Rico !!

… Continue Reading

FINUCANE SON IN SPAT WITH POLITICAL BLOGGER

PAT Finucane‘s son has clashed with conservative political commentator Richard Waghorne who claimed online that the murdered solicitor was “the IRA‘s lawyer“. Mr Waghorne is a former political commentator for the Irish Daily Mail.

315331_455988554480924_403280257_n

On his official Twitter feed yesterday the political blogger made comments about the hunan-rights lawyer shot dead by loyalists in 1989. Mr Waghorne first tweeted that it was “Astonishing that the US House Committee on Foreign Affairs is wasting time tomorrow on the death of IRA lawyer Pat Finucane“. Later he said the Belfast solicitor’s reputation “as a ‘human rights lawyer’ is more than slightly questionable”. His outburst provoked Mr Finucane’s Dublin-based solicitor son Michael to challenge the political commentator he once represented in legal proceedings in the Republic. Michael Finucane is in Washington giving evidence to the foreign affairs committee in relation to state collusion involved in his father’s murder. In a series of tweets he replied : “You’re quite happy to sully my dad’s name but I acted for you when you needed a lawyer. Was I right or wrong to help you?” Mr Waghorne tweeted : “Your father’s record of defending IRA terrorists is well documented.” Mr Finucane tweeted : “I beleive you’ll find lawyer defends client, not the cause or beliefs. Thats all my dad did. And all I did for you, right?” Mr Waghorne tweeted : “You were free to refuse the brief. Your father was free to to refuse his. He choose to defend IRA terrorists.” Mr Finucane tweeted : “Well, I didn’t refuse you because of what you believe or say and my dad was just as professional. That’s the differnce.” The Washington committee will today be updated on developments in the Finucane investigation since the release of the report by barrister Sir Desmond de Silva and will hear testimony from retired US brigadier general James P Cullen.

With many thanks to : Allison Morris, Irish News.

NO FRACKING IRELAND

466392_592082397482159_1136065753_o

No Fracking Ireland

Thanks to TerryandSarah Pomeroy for posting this pic and notice of an upcoming screening of a locally made film on Fracking in Fermanagh. Judging by their own ‘down on the farm’, page they’re not in two minds on this one.

The Ardowen Theatre in Enniskillen is well worth a visit for anyone who has not been there and at £2 entry for the screening this June 4th. sure you’d nearly pay that just to see this architectural set piece.

https://www.facebook.com/terrysarah.pomeroy

 

PSNI/RUC CHERRY-PICKING IN IT’S APPROACH TO LOYALISM !

Faced with an unworkable law, the PSNI/RUC has plainly decided to ignore it where there are no local objections. Faced with ensuring claims of pro-republican bias, the PSNI is now plainly allowing a loyalist free-for-all in East Belfast whether or not.

EAST BELFAST has been surrendered to the UVF. The PSNI made that crystal clear in its response to the erection of ’1913′ UVF flags along Belmont Road. These flags were ” not related to a proscribed oorganization “, the PSNI declared after residents complained.

2013-04-18 19.16.48

Real:-) sly? Men in balaclavers block the road with a cherry picker, put up flags emblazoned with the historical antecedent of a proscribed organisation then angrily defend themselves via the Twitter accounts of the UVF’s political wing, yet that is not “related” to the proscribed UVF? We are down the rabbit hole here, instructed like Alice in Wonderland to beleive six imposible things before breakfast. When the media challenged the “not related” statement the PSNI went queit for a couple of hours before claiming there had been “no breaches of traffic legislation relating to the erection of flags “. Really? So anyone can slip on a belaclava and a high-visabilty jacket and direct cars about with pompous little hard-man aggression? The roads (Northern Ireland) Order 1993 makes it an offence punishable by a £500 fine to “in any way obstruct the free passage along a road without lawful authority “. It also requires ayone planning to obstruct a road to consult with the relevant Stormont department. This is not an obscrue piece of legislation.

Any business erecting an unauthorised sign will be fined under another section of the same order, as Belfasts Apartment Bar found out before Christmas when it hung a banner in its window to attract customers deterred by the flag protests. The flag protests are of course what this is all about. An appearance of peace has been restored to East Belfast by taking fringe figures out of circulation while unofficially authorising the UVF to control the streets. One of the chief grievances aired by loyalists during the flag protests was that the law is not being evenly applied, with republicans allowed to flaunt paramilitary symbolism and displays in ‘their’ areas while plotting to expunge all lawful British symbols. In fairness to the PSNI/RUC, it is hard to see how New Labour‘s ridiculous anti-terrorism legislation could ever be applied to the North of Ireand, evenly or otherwise.

524828_436737639748056_1086128358_n

Under the Terrorism Act 2006, which applies to the whole United Kingdom, it is a criminal offence punishable by up to seven years in jail to “glorify the commission or preparation” of acts of terrorism “whether in the past, in the future or generally”. This covers just about every statement, publication, parade, event and mural by every republican and loyalist group. Many of our political parties fall foul of it regularly, as does almost the entire programme for the ‘ decade of centenaries ‘. Faced with an unworkable law, the PSNI/RUC has plainly decided to ignore it where there are no local objections. Faced with ensuring claims of pro-republican bias, the PSNI/RUC is now plainly allowing a loyalist free-for-all in East Belfast whether locals object or not. However, the excuse of unworkable law only takes the police so far. Since 2005 the offical Joint Protocal in Relation to the Display of Flags in Pubic Areas has supposedly provided a workable compromise, requiring ‘ community represtatives ‘ to reach aggreement on flags with residents, the PSNI/RUC and govermemeant agencies.

Years of pprogress through the protocol were thrown away in 2011 when the PSNI/RUC apologised to the UVF for taking down a sectarian loyalist flag outside a Catholic Church in Ballyclare, despite the agreement the flag had breached and the loyalist rioting that followed. Now the PSNI/RUC is apapparently happy to involve only the ‘ community representives ‘. Responding to complaints from residents and politations that nobody had been coconsulted over the East Belfast UVF flags, a PSNI/RUC spokesman blithely declared that “organisers have given their assurances that these flags will be removed immediately following next  Saturday’s parade”. Hence the PSNI/RUC is largely to blame when it complains that the flag protocol is redundent.

374229_267268476671330_100001645408059_729124

As cricriticism of its surrender in East Belfast mounted, the PSNI/RUC piously announced that ” the only long-term solution to the display of flags in public areas will be reached by political consensus “, adding that it looked forward to an “updated protocal” from Stormont. This sounded very much like passing the buck for the consequences of its appeasenent policy, just as the PSNI/RUC tried to do to the Parades Comnission during the height of the flag protests, requiring the commission to give the chief constable a public lecture on the law. When it comes to symbolising the PSNI/RUC, the law and loyalism, a cherry picker couldn’t be beaten.

Some of the wording has been changed -

But many thanks to : Newton Emerson, Irish News.

elated articles

MI5/MI6 MEET UVF JUST WEEKS AFTER DUBLIN-MONAGHAN BOMBINGS

Attacks not mentioned at secret meeting.

A HIGH-ranking member of MI5/MI6 met a UVF delegation just weeks after the Dublin and Monaghan bombings. Secret papers reveal that four men from the loyalist paramilitary group met with senior intelligence officer Michael Oatley aafter it had detonated bombs in Dublin and Monaghan in May 1974, killing 33 people.

644139_10151025502251776_678358476_n

Senior British government official James Allan also attended the meeting on May 27 at a house in Hollywood, Co Down, known as Laneside. A long-serving MI6 operator, Mr Oatley had strong contacts with both republican and loyalist groups througout the Troubles and is beleived to have been instrumental in the process that ultimatley resulted in the Provisional IRA calling its 1994 ceasefire. The UVF delegation comprised West Belfast man Ken Gibson, beleived to have been the leader of the UVF in 1974, and three other men who are named in the recently uncovered document. Laneside was regulary used by British officils as a discreet location to meet and hold talks with both loyalists and nationalist representatives in the 1970′s. Staffed by various Northern Ireland Office and British government officials, it was also used by officers of MI6, the international arm of the British Secret Services. Documents recentiy uncovered by the Pat Finucance Centre in Derry reveal that MI6 officials meet the four-stong UVF delegation ovef two days. The meetings took place less than two weeks after three UVF bombs exploded in Dublin and one in Monaghan as the Ulster Workers Strike was nearing an end. Despite this, no mention of the atrocities was made during the minutes.

Instead, in a summary of the meeting prepared by James Allan, it has emerged he was keen to protect senior UVF men from arrest. ” The UVF’s relationship with us has become very stange,” he said. ” They are desperately in need of advice as to how to achieve their aims of ensuring working class, and above all UVF participation in politics and they seek this even though they know that there are basic differences between them and HMG on the strike. ” Further, they are clearly worried that their position may be undermined by arrest of UVF leaders. (I beleive we should think very carefully before action is taken vis a vis UVF politicals and I should be greatful to have the opportunity to comment on possible arrest lists).” Two days later, on May 29, Ken Gibson and a second UVF man returned to Laneside for more talks. During these discussions it emerged that the UVF leaders claimed both they and former first minister, then leader of the DUP, Ian Paisley, now Lord Bannside, were supportive of talks with republicans.

The government summary of the meeting said : ” Despite their rough words in public politicians, including Rev Ian Paisley, were in favour of conversations with the IRA.” It would be more than three decades before the DUP leader finally went into goverenment with Sinn Fein at the Stormont assembly. The UVF men also revealed their support for the Price sisters, Dolours and Marian, who at the time were on hungerstrike in an English jail.”ThePrice sisters should be returned to Ireland as should loyalist prisoners like Billy Campbell held in Scotland,” reported James Allan. ” Mr Gibson suggested the loyalist leaders would probably start a ccampaign for the return of all such prisoners. ” Part of their aim in doing so would show solidarity with republicans.” Margaret Irwin from Justice for the Forgotten, a group that represents the families of those killed in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, said she was concerned about the files. ” The thing that is very disturbing is that the British government were considering not arresting UVF leaders especially coming in the wake of the bombings,”  she said. ” It brings home the importance of the British government being up front in relation to undisclosed files.”

With many thanks to : Connia Young, Irish News.

Tonight Friday 25th at 9pm you are being asked to repeatedly submit comments

    • email address
      Today

    • 21:00
  • Due to Edna Kenny`s state-of-the-nation style address on the treaty this Sunday night at 5.50pm and the Sinn Féin Ard Fheis in Killarney this weekend
    with Gerry Adams’s Address on Saturday televised on RTÉ1 at 5:30pm.
    Tonight Friday 25th at 9pm you are being asked to repeatedly submit comments to http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Your_Comments/
    The site only requires a valid email address.
    Open multiple browser tabs and have a selection of email addresses this will multiply the numbers.
    Systematically submit any comment using each email address per tab repeatedly for a period of 20 minutes.
    If enough people are prepared to do this it will overload the website server and the site will crash.

     

POSTED ON BEHALF OF : Event for Email en mass the website of the Department of an Taoiseach comment section · By Debate Ireland

RELEASE MARTIN COREY NOW – END POLITICAL INTERNMENT !

STOP BRITISH INTERNMENT NOW !

SMASH INTERNMENT

SMASH INTERNMENT

END POLITICIAL INTERNMENT OF THE IRISH PEOPLE

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 339 other followers

%d bloggers like this: