THE ORANGE Order has been urged to hold talks ahead of a controversial Twelfth of July parade through a mainly nationalist village in Co An trim. Hundreds of bandsmen and supporters will descend on the seaside village of Carnlough this summer for a major Twelfth of July demonstration.
Earlier this year Sinn Fein assembly member Oliver McMullan warned that the parade had the potential to cause “community tensions” in the run up to July. The East Belfast MLA last night said that the Orange Order had to date refused to speak to him or community groups in the area. “They have told police they are not talking to the Parades Commission or Sinn Fein,” he said.”This does not go well for a shared future the first minister and deputy first minister spoke about. “Here we have the Orange Order refusing to buy it. “This nonsence has gone on long enough, it’s time to grow up and sit down and talk.”
Mr McMullan spoke of his concern that the Antrim Coast Road would be closed to visitors at the height of the tourist season. Up to 400 members representing 11 lodges are expected to take part in the controversial march, which is traditionally held in Carnlough once every six years with the last in the village in 2007. A spokesman for the Orange Order said : “The Twelfth parade in Carnlough will act as a clear indicator as to whether republicans pay more than lip service to the idea of a shared future, and the cultural expression of the minority Protestant population in the village.” The latest row comes after residents in Rasharkin, Co Antrim, claimed they have reached a deal with the Orange Order to relocate their main Twelfth demonstration away from the centre of the nationalist village. The Orange Order has denied however that talks took place. Marne Area Commander, PSNI Chief Inspector John Magill said he “would encourage communities to put in place local sustainable arrangements around parading issues”.
With many thanks to : Connie Young, Irish News
- Revealed: Loyalists Plan Ardoyne Stand-off Over Twelfth Parade (belfastdaily.co.uk)
- Twelfth fears over Ardoyne ‘stalemate’ (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Residents Groups Criticise Parades Talks in Cardiff ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Orange Order agree to move Rasharkin Twelfth march (newsletter.co.uk)
- Orange Lodge didn’t meet Rasharkin residents over march move (newsletter.co.uk)
- Orange Order Proposes Back-up North Belfast July 12 Venue (belfastdaily.co.uk)
Brothers in court accused of hijacking
Two brothers appeared in court yesterday accused of hijacking after a police officer wad squashed and injured by a stolen car. Joseph and Michael McManus, aged 27 and 19, whose brother was murdered for anti-social behaviour last saturday were arrested following attempts to stop a Renault Megane in West Belfast one week to the day after their brother was murdered by the CIRA early on Saturday morning.
A PSNI/RUC officer suffered chest injuries when squashed between his police car and the stolen car during the incident outside the Suffolk Inn on the Suffolk Road in West Belfast. The brothers, both of Orchard Hill, Crumlin, Co Antrim, are each charged with aggravated vehicle taking and assault on police. Joseph McManus is also accused of driving while unfit through drink or drugs, causing grievous bodily injury by dangerous driving, and failing to stop for police.
A detective told Belfast Magistrates Court she could connect both suspects to the alleged offences. Joseph McManus made no application for bail and he was remanded in custody to appear again by video link later this month. His brother had appeared in court on police bail following the weekend incident. Michael McManus was released to return again in eight weeks ‘ time. District Judge Fiona Bag all ordered him to have no contact with any prosecution witnesses. He was subjected to s curfew, electronic tagging and banned from being in a motor vehicle unless accompanied by a parent or solicitor.
- Mother condemns ‘cowardly’ killers (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Mother brands son’s killers cowards (bbc.co.uk)
- Cira Admits Murder of West Belfast Man (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Funeral for Murdered West Belfast Feud Victim (belfastdaily.co.uk)
- Revealed: Feud Link to West Belfast Murder Probe (belfastdaily.co.uk)
The suspect device was found in Oakdale Manor in the town at around 10.20am on Thursday.
Army bomb experts are at the scene and a police spokesperson said a small number of homes have been evacuated.
WITH MANY THANKS TO : UTV News
Public Meeting Update re the ongoing incarceration and torture of Marian Price This event will now take place in The Conway Education Centre, Conway Mill 5/7 Conway Street Falls Road Belfsat BT13 2DE.
Belfast GAA club backtrack on agreement to host Justice for Marian campiagn meeting. The meeting scheduled to be held in St Pauls GAC Shaws Road Belfast to highlight the ongoing incarceration and torture of Marian Price will now take place in the Conway Mill. The change of venue is due to St Paul‘s GAC refusing to up…hold an agreement that was made weeks ago that they would host the meeting. As a result of this agreement thousands of leaflets and hundreds of posters advertising the event were printed and distributed . I received an email on Monday 27th Feb stating the booking was cancelled as a result of an internal failure to follow procedure. When this was queried I was then told that the Committee would review their decision. I explained the urgency of Marian Price’s situation and that a mass of advertising had already taken place but to be blunt my words had little meaning. I called to the club in person with family members of Marian Price urging the committee to make the right decision, we were told we would have a decision after the meeting. I received a negative response the following morning and at this stage was given two new excuses as to why the meeting should not take place. I was told the club had taken advice from the County Antrim Board and were advised they would be in breach of GAA rule 5.1 and that they also would not be covered by their public liability insurance. After the meeting I checked with a professional independent loss adjuster and he stated that considering the facility has a bar and hosts discos etc. it would be incredulous that their public liability insurance would not cover this meeting. When I sought clarification of rule 5.1 I was told it stated that the club could only be used for GAA purposes. To satisfy my own curiosity I decided to check rule 5.1 of the GAA Rules & Regulations document. It states ‘All property including grounds, Club Houses, Halls, Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or controlled by units of the Association shall be used only for the purpose of or in connection with the playing of the Games controlled by the Association, and for such other purposes not in conflict with the Aims and Objects of the Association.’ Now the question has to be asked is that if St Paul’s are content to cite section 5.1 of the 2011 GAA rules and regulations, then the GAA as an organisation must be in breach of their own rules as GAA facilities such as Croke park hosts rock concerts and other events that having no connection to the GAA. Whilst sifting through the rule book the it would seem that St Paul’s committee or County Antrim board overlooked rule 1.4. Rule 1.4 states ‘It shall foster an awareness and love of the national ideals in the people of Ireland, and assist in promoting a community spirit through its clubs.’ Yet here we have a club who have failed to honour an agreement to allow a meeting hosted by human rights activists to highlight the internment and torture of one of their community members. I have no doubt the founder members of the GAA were turning in their graves, over the years many GAA activists have been subjected to internment without trial themselves. The GAA has welcomed the British Monarch to Croke Park, has abolished rule 21 and despite rule 5.1 has allowed ‘foreign’ sports to be played in GAA facilities but when it comes to assisting the community will pull the rule book out and use it to assist what many suspect is a political decision. It can not be stated enough that these are not baseless accusations and the correspondence between the organisers of this meeting and St Paul’s Board can be made available for scrutiny. We would call on GAA activists who support human rights and are opposed to the internment without trial of any Irish Citizen to raise this issue as a matter of urgency with anyone with influence within the Gaelic Athletic Association.
POSTED ON BEHALF OF : Pauline Mellon
- Statement on Marian Price’s internment and removal to Hydebank (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Marian Price and the lost document (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Marian Price being held is ‘internment’: Priest (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Report on MagHaberry for UNHRW (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Breaking News !!! Regarding Marian Price ” Urgent ” ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)