” Why parishioners not allowed to stand outside their own church when the leadership of the UVF can stand outside it ” ? - Frank Dempsey.
NORTH Belfast nationalists will tonight decide wwhether to defy a ban on holding a protest outside a Catholic Church during a controversial Apprentice Boys parade. People living in Carrick Hill reacted angrily after the Parades Commission restricted the location of proposed protests as marchers pass the flashpoint St Patrick‘s Church and nearby nationalist homes on Easter Monday.
Protests at a car park opposite the city centre church and at Clifton Street are limited to 30 people. A request to sstand directly outside St Patrick’s – the parish church of many of the protesters – was turned down. The commission was criticised last week for permitting Apprentice Boys to take one band and 60 members along the disputed route. Although bandsmen will be allowed to play loyalist tunes while passing Carrick Hill they will be restricted to a single drum beat when passing St Patrick’s on Donegall Street, the scene of violence surrounding parades last summer. Residents spokesman Frank Dempsey last night said his community might decide to ignore the commission both on where protets are held and the numbers taking part. Referring to previous parades pasr St Patrick’s, he asked : ” Why are parishioners not allowed to stand outside their own church when the leadership of the UVF can stand outside it ?’”
Mr Dempsey said that before coming to a decision people in the area will consider comments Cheif ConstableM Matt Baggott made during the Union Flag protests. He said ” People are asking Do we really have to go near the Parades Commission given what Matt Baggott said in January that anyone is entitled to a peaceful protest ?” ” Resident groups are abiding by determinations and the Loyal Orders don’t even consult witb the Parades Commission and then break their determinations. ” Then they are rewarded in places like Carrick Hill, Ardoyne and Short Strand.” The commission has also been criticised for allowing the Apprentice Boys to march past Ardoyne interface despite having turned down an offer to meet residents.
SDLP councillor Nichola Mallon said an ” apparent lack of consistency ” in the commission’s decisions was a sourse of frusration. It needed to explain its reasoning better, she said. ” Residents in Carrick Hill are asking me why, when the commission deemed the route past St Patrick’s controversial and reflected this in its determination on the parade, are they not allowed to peacefully protest at this spot outside the church ?” She said. Sinn Fein MLA Gerry Kelly said : ” Wwithout dialogue from the loyal orders, with either the residents or the Parades Commission , parades should not get the go-ahead.” The commission declined to comment. Police said : ” The PSNI does not discuss operational procedures ahead of any event. However, any event will be monitored and all appropriate advice given and action taken where necessary. ” All parades and protests are policed appropriately and in accordance with Parades Commission determination.”
With many thanks to : Connia Young, Irish News.
- Orange march probe after Sash is played by band near St Matthew’s Catholic church (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Expect the Worst (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- ‘Discontent’ over parading curbs (bbc.co.uk)
O Jesus! Release all my affections and draw them upwards. Let my crucified heart sink forever into yours and bury itself in the mysterious wound made by the entry of the lance.
Father Martin McVeigh was about to host an advisory Powerpoint presentation for parents on the subject of their children’s imminent Holy Communion event last week but instead displayed shocking gay porn scenes.
It is believed among the 26 parents present, there was also an eight-year-old child at the meeting which came to a halt after the shocking images were shown. School Principal, Sean Devlin is said to have contacted the Armagh Archdiocese to inform them of the unpleasant event while the PSNI are investigating the incident but say on the basis of the evidence available, no crime had been committed.
Fr McVeigh said he was co-operating with police and that he had no knowledge of the offending material. Speaking to the Ulster Herald, Fr McVeigh said: “I don’t know how it happened but I know what happened. There are people making innuendoes who weren’t even there but in this day and age these stories grow.”
WITH MANY THANKS TO : BELFAST TELEGRAPH.
- PA trial: Priests struggled with ‘sexual sobriety’ (goerie.com)
- Priest Does His Duty or… (mensadomini.wordpress.com)
- Priest Who Denied Communion to Lesbian at Mother’s Funeral Suspended (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Priest: Found porn, lewd letter to boy in rectory (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Vatican: Irish Catholic Trainee Priests Must Attend Child Protection Classes (frstephensmuts.wordpress.com)
THE Catholic Church last night condemned Rangers fans for promoting “poisonous bigotry” after sectarian chants and songs marred the team’s first match following the club being put into administration.
Despite repeated efforts to stamp out the problem in recent years, anti-Catholic abuse was repeatedly heard on the terraces during yesterday’s game against Kilmarnock.
Chants of “F****n b******s” were heard during the first half of the match, followed by a rendition of the loyalist song The Billy Boys, which has been banned by Uefa for the line “we’re up to our knees in F****n blood”.
Later, some refereeing decisions which provoked controversy among Rangers supporters prompted a widespread chant of: “Who’s the F****n in the black”.
Before the match got under way, Rangers’ administrators said that new information they had uncovered about club finances had “only added to the confusion” over the whereabouts of a £24.4 million payment made to Rangers by company, Ticketus, for the purchase of season tickets. Administrators added, however, that HMRC does not want to see a situation where the club is liquidated
Those responsible for sectarian chanting at yesterday’s match were condemned for dredging up songs of “hate and ignorance” on a day when Rangers fans had packed into Ibrox to show their support for their crisis-hit club.
Peter Kearney, spokesman for the Catholic Church, said: “Sadly poisonous sectarian bigotry is all too often a part of some Rangers’ fans identity. Despite repeated efforts by the club – and to their great embarrassment – anti-Catholic hostility is still alive and well among many Rangers fans.”
Dave Scott, campaign director of the anti-bigotry charity Nil by Mouth, said: “This was a day when some Rangers fans came to show their true feelings for their club. I suspect any true supporter will be sickened to their stomach that others have chosen this day of all days to dredge up these songs of hate and ignorance.”
A Scottish Government spokesperson said: “We deplore sectarian or bigoted chanting at any grounds or from any fans in Scotland.”
Rangers did not respond to calls last night seeking comment on the issue of sectarian chanting.
Rangers administrators revealed yesterday that new information uncovered had led to a “pretty full understanding” of the takeover and financing of the club.
Administrators Duff & Phelps said they expected to make an announcement in the coming days after receiving details from the club’s former lawyers.
A series of meetings with potential investors or new owners will also take place in the week ahead in a bid to save the “tremendous institution”, the firm added.
Rangers were plunged into crisis on Tuesday when HMRC moved to put the club into administration over an upaid tax bill of £9 million, a debt owed to the taxman after owner Craig Whyte‘s takeover last May.
Whyte has insisted he has “nothing to fear” from any investigations into the club’s affairs and can account for “every penny” which has gone in and out of the club.
Speaking ahead of the Rangers’ match against Kilmarnock at Ibrox yesterday afternoon, joint administrator David Whitehouse said: “The key issue that has been talked about extensively is the whole financing of the original acquisition, the Ticketus money and level of capital that was introduced to the club.
“We got a load of information yesterday evening from the company’s former lawyers and we have a pretty full understanding of what has happened. Until we get firm legal advice on that, we can’t put it out, but there will be clarity on that next week.”
He added: “The whole role of the previous management will be integral to understanding things. We are clearer as to what has happened in terms of the circumstances around the purchase and how the company has been capitalised.”
Whitehouse said a series of meetings with potential investors or new owners would take place over the next week. “This club is a tremendous institution and it seems to us inconceivable that steps wouldn’t be taken to try to save it,” he added.
RANGERS are also awaiting the outcome of a tax tribunal which could leave them with a bill that could be as much as £75m.
Joint administrator Paul Clark said he remained confident HMRC does not want to see a situation where the club is liquidated.
He said: “We’ve spoken at length with HMRC … If HMRC had been looking to close Rangers, they would have issued a winding up petition last week … The message from HMRC is that they would like to work with us to make sure that Rangers survive. More meetings are scheduled for the coming week. They’ve been positive against the backdrop of neither party having complete information.”
He added: “We remain confident that there will be a successful outcome for the football club. Exactly what shape that will take, we remain uncertain.
“But it’s something that we are working with all parties to achieve a successful result. This is a football club and it’s about playing football.”
However, Clark said there was still a “lack of clarity” over the Ticketus deal: “Part of the information we’ve received in the past 24 hours has only added to the confusion. Payment (was) not made into a Rangers Football Club bank account. It went through a lawyer’s bank account. We’ve got some visibility of funds.”
The new recruits will replace prison officers leaving as part of a redundancy scheme.
So far 371 officers have volunteered to leave and that number is expected to rise by the time applications close on Friday.
There are more than 1,700 prison officers in Northern Ireland and the prison service wants 540 of them to retire early to make way for new recruits on lower salaries.
The redundancy scheme has been introduced for officers aged over 50. Many qualify for a lump sum payment of more than £100,000, plus an annual pension of £18,500.
From Thursday, up to 200 jobs will be available for custody officers, who will be responsible for maintaining security and supervising the movement of prisoners.
Prison officers who take redundancy can apply to be re-employed in the new roles.
But sources say that’s unlikely to happen, because the new jobs won’t be as financially attractive.
On-the-job trainingThe new custody officers will start on a salary of £18,000 – rising to a maximum of £23,000.
The prison officers targeted in the redundancy scheme earn up to £38,000 a year.
Applicants will also have have to pass a number of tests to be short-listed for further assessment, and those appointed will undergo regular on-the-job training and testing to move up the salary scale.
Unlike the Patten reforms of policing, there will not be a 50-50 recruitment process, but advertisements will welcome applications from Catholics, who currently make up 10% of the prison service workforce.
They will also target women, who account for 22% of staff.
The redundancy scheme and recruitment of new staff are key parts of a fundamental programme of reforms for a prison service that has been widely criticised in recent years.
The aim is a new approach as well as new faces.
With Thanks To : By Vincent Kearney BBC NI home affairs correspondent
02 November at 00:00 – 10 November at 23:30
WHEREVER YOU ARE SAY THE PRAY EVERY DAY FOR 9 DAYS
♦ A NOVENA IS A PRAYER SAID FOR 9 DAYS FOR A SPECIFIC INTENTION ♦ ♦THE PRAYING OF A NOVENA DRAWS ITS ORIGIN FROM THE PRACTICE OF THE DISCIPLES WHO PRAYED IN THE UPPER ROOM FOR THE 9 DAYS BETWEEN THE ASSENSION OF JESUS AND THE ARRIVAL OF THE HOLY SPIRIT AT PENTECOST. ♦
♦THE NOVENA PRAYER WILL BE POSTED 11/1 ♦
♦ WHEN SOMEONE HAS DIED & IS IN PURGATORY, THEY CAN NO LONGER PRAY 4 THEMSELVES, SO IT IS UP TO US TO DO SO