Blog Archives

Oglach Jim Bryson and Oglach Patrick Mulvenna who died on Active Service 31 August 1973 R.I.P

1185278_587741707934163_1564620554_n

The Irish Brigade

Remembering today the deaths of Oglach Jim Bryson and Oglach Patrick Mulvenna who died on active service 31st August 1973 both volunteers were shot during gun battle from concealed British Army observation post while alighting from car, Ballymurphy Road, Ballymurphy, Belfast. Fuair siad bas ar son na saoirse na hEireann

Updated news from the Ballymurphy Massacre Committee

664421_445022892211878_450129189_o

Campaign For A United Ireland‘s status update.

Campaign For A United Ireland

The Ballymurphy Massacre Committee is in receipt of a letter from the Historical Enquiries Team (HET) announcing that it has suspended its “reviews” of cases involving the British Army due to the damning report by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC). This acknowledgement by the State publicly and officially validates what the Ballymurphy families have been saying to each British Secretary of State as far back as Shaun Woodward–that the HET is not independent. Due to the great work by Dr. Patricia Lundy they are now having to listen and concede.

It is inexcusable in an environment that is claimed to be a democracy, that from August 1971 til the present day, there has never been an investigation into the murder of 11 innocent civilians from our neighborhood. Successive governments have ignored this atrocity and attempted to divert the cause of justice by offering only a desktop review of the 11 cases through the HET. With the HMIC condemning the HET policies and practices which their report refers to as “illegal,” the State has no excuse not to conduct a proper investigation.

As the HET letter to the Ballymurphy families indicates, there is now no mechanism through which the British State is dealing with Army murders in Ballymurphy. In the 40 year absence of any proper investigation, the Ballymurphy families have designed a formula to address this.

The Independent Panel proposal presented to both governments by the Ballymurphy Massacre Committee is based on the Hillsborough Independent Panel which was fully supported by the British government.

We now call for both the Irish and the British governments to respond immediately to the Ballymurphy Independent Panel proposal.

Ballymurphy Massacre Committee

(John Teggart 07512166867)

Ballymurphy families seek talks with David Cameron

Ballymurphy in 1971
Soldiers clearing up in the aftermath of the Ballymurphy killings
 
Relatives of 10 people shot dead by soldiers in west Belfast in 1971 are calling for a meeting with the Prime Minister, David Cameron.

In December, families handed in a petition to Downing street calling for an independent investigation into the killings.

John Teggart, whose father Danny died, said the families wanted a panel to look into the shootings.

Oberon Books first edition cover

He said an international figure could head the panel.

“It’s 40 years since my father was murdered in Ballymurphy. There’s been no police investigation. It needs to be independent. It needs to be done by the right people, in agreement with the families.

“To sort out and start talking about terms of reference we need to be sitting with the man who holds the power, that’s David Cameron.”

He said Ballymurphy could have been dealt with during the Saville Inquiry into Bloody Sunday.

The families have previously called for an independent inquiry into the killings.

The victims, which included a priest and a mother-of-eight, were killed over the course of three days in August 1971 by members of the Parachute Regiment during Operation Demetrius, when people suspected of paramilitary activity were interned.

Banner and Crosses carried by the families of ...

The Army said it opened fire in the Ballymurphy area in response to gunfire from republican paramilitaries.

Last November, the Attorney General John Larkin announced that new inquests would be held into their deaths.

The families said the decision by Mr Larkin was an important step in their ongoing campaign for justice but said their campaign for an independent investigation would continue.

The Northern Ireland Office has ruled out any public inquiry into the killings akin to the Bloody Sunday Tribunal.

The 10 people shot dead

 

  • Fr Hugh Mullan
  • Francis Quinn
  • Daniel Teggart
  • Joan Connolly
  • Joseph Murphy
  • Noel Phillips
  • Edward Doherty
  • John Laverty
  • Joseph Corr
  • John McKerr

 

Army shooting inquests welcomed 15 NOVEMBER 2011, NORTHERN IRELAND

Ballymurphy group meet Robinson 18 FEBRUARY 2011, NORTHERN IRELAND

Victims’ families lobby parties 16 NOVEMBER 2010, NORTHERN IRELAND

Church to report on 1971 killings 29 JULY 2010, NORTHERN IRELAND

MP calls for Ballymurphy inquiry 08 DECEMBER 2010, NORTHERN IRELAND

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,855 other followers

%d bloggers like this: