Category Archives: ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH ?
SHAME FEIN leader Gerry Adams has revealed he was in North Louth when farmer Tom Oliver was abducted and murdered by the Provisional IRA. However, Mr Adams rejected as a “reprehensible accusation” a claim that he had been the sole member of the ‘Court of Appeal’ that decided Mr Oliver’s fate.
The 37-year-old victim, from Riverstown on the Cooley Peninsula, was found shot dead in Belleeks, Co Armagh, in July 1991. Before his murder, the father-of-seven had been tortured by the IRA who wrongly claimed he was a Garda informer. At one time, a relative of Mr Oliver told reporters it appeared that the killers had “thumped him senceless til he’d no idea where he was or what he was saying”. Speaking to RTE‘s Prime Time, Mr Adams admitted that he had been “In the Cooleys” when the farmer was taken and killed. He said he had been on holidays with his family and had had no involvment in the events that led to Mr Oliver’s death. Mr Adams said the killing was “to be condemned” but he criticised presenter Mariam O’Callaghan for suggesting he had played any role. The Louth TD also rejected claims by former Provisional IRA members Dolours Price and Brendan Hughes that he had a role in the 1972 murder of mother-of-10 Jean McConville. Mr Adams said his accusers, both now dead, were “telling lies” because they “thought I had sold out. They thought I was a traitor”.
With many thanks to : Valerie Robinson (Southern Correspondent), Irish News.
- Price tapes “could lead to the fall” of Gerry Adams (talkofthetown.ie)
- Gerry Adams says ‘brother confessed’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Gerry Adams denies trying to save his ‘political skin’ during brothers child abuse trial (irishcentral.com)
- My Brother Told Me He Molested His Daughter, Gerry Adams Tells Jury (belfastdaily.co.uk)
” If I had to I would ” - Iain Duncan Smith.
IAIN Duncan Smith yesterday dismissed claims that he was ” slashing ” welfare – and insisted that he could live on £53 a week. The UK’s work and pensions secretary said he was making the system fairer and giving people a chance to ” break free ” of benifits.
Ministers launched a fightback as 660,000 social housing tenents deemed to have a spare room begain to lose an average £14 a week in what critics have dubbed a ” bedroom tax “. It is part of a package of significant welfare and tax changes coming into force this month, which opponents say will hit poor familes and disabled people particularly hard. Changes to council tax benifits will see bills rise for an estimated 2.4 millon households in Britain rise an average £138 a year, with two million paying for the first time, an anti poverty group said. The system was yesterday hand-ed to town halls to operate but with 10 per cent less founding. On Saturday working-age benifits and tax-credits will be cut in real terms with the first of three years of maximum one per cent raises – well below the present rate of inflation. Two days later disabilty living allowence begains to be replaced by the personal independance payment which charites say will remove support from many people in real need. Later in the month trails begain in four London boroughs of a £500-a-week cap on any household’s benifits, and a new universal credit system. Piolt schemes for the flagship scheme have been scaled back amid reports -denied by welfare officials – that IT problems have derailed preparations for its rollout from October.
Labour claims the impact of the measures and other coalition polices have left the average family almost £900 a year worse off. Market trader David Bennett told BBC Radio 4′s Today programe yesterday morning that he earned around £2,700 last year from working between 50 and 70 hours a week. He said his housing benifit had been cut even though his children stayed with him several days a week and his overall income was about £53 a week. It was not clear why Mr Bennett was not receiving tax credits. Mr Duncan Smith, whose ministerial salary is equivalent to about £1,600 a week after tax, stressed that he did not know Mr Bennett’s individual circumstances. However, asked whether he could live on £53 a week, the former army officer, who married into a wealthy family, replied : ” If I had I would.” During the course of the day more than 21,000 people signed a petition on the change.org website calling for Mr Duncan Smith to “prove ” he could survive on £53 a week. The text urged him to ” live on his budget for at least one year “. He said the government was only trying to get welfare ” back in order “. ” We inherited a problem where we simply do not have the money to spend on all the things people would like us to do. ” What I am trying to do is get this so we don’t spend money on things that are unfair.” He urged critics to get the issue ” in perspective “.
With many thanks to : James Tapsfield, Irish News.
- I could live on £53 a week says Iain Duncan Smith (express.co.uk)
- Iain Duncan Smith: 200,000 sign petition urging smug minister to prove he can live on £7.50 a day (mirror.co.uk)
- Iain Duncan Smith: I have already lived on £53 a week and petition calling on me to do so again is a complete stunt (teessidesolidaritymovement.wordpress.com)
- Iain Duncan Smith: I could live on £53 a week (mirror.co.uk)
- Iain Duncan Smith petition: 100,000 urge smug minister to prove he can live on £7.50 a day (mirror.co.uk)
- Iain Duncan Smith: I could live on £53 per week (telegraph.co.uk)
- I could live on £53 a week benefits, claims Iain Duncan Smith (thetimes.co.uk)
Speaking at the Northern Ireand Bureau breakfast in Washington DC yesterday, the DUP leader criticised the ” wingers and whiners back home ” who questioned the trip. The taxpayer-funded government visit has been shrouded in secrecy. Despite repeated calls, the office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister has refused to release an intineary or a list of those travelling. Only Sinn Fein has released some details of the visit.
In a copy of Mr Robinson’s speach, released by the DUP last night, the first minister said : ” There are some whingers and whingers back home who would question us in undertaking such missions and going out to market the North of Ireland to the rest of the world. They once told us we were wasting our time but we have succeeded in bringing thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of pounds of investment. But they’re still at it – and so are we. Ready to prove them wrong again.” Mr Robinson said he and Mr McGuinness were not ” ready to put our feet up a nd bask in success ” and would be traveling to the Chinese capital “soon”.
With many thanks to : Clarie Simpson, Irish News.
- Luxury Hotel Budget Firmly Under Wraps ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- It’s NOT a Holiday! (blackfrogpublishing.wordpress.com)
- Obama: I’m really looking forward to G8 Fermanagh visit (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Fresh bid to move forward on Troubles legacy (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Stormont veto of free speech law ‘a mystery’ (newsletter.co.uk)
- Peter Robinson set for News Letter webchat (newsletter.co.uk)
- Minister’s Girdwood Decision ‘ Motivated by Sectarianism ‘ ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
It is understood civil claims have been made against the catowners, even though they were not involved in the thefts or crashes.
The officers are claiming for injuries sustained when stopping the cars.
- 49 Serving Psni/ruc Officers Paid With Taxpayers Money to Uphold the Law Convicted of Crimes ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Man Who Vidioed Psni/ruc Scum Cleared of Terrorism Charge’s (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Police suing car crime victims (bbc.co.uk)
- Psni/ruc to Buy Drones for G8 Security ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
The woman said her house was petrol-bombed because her 18-year-old son was spotted wearing a T-shirt bearing the slogan ‘I support Ireland’ – in support of the country’s sports teams.
The woman was in her home with two young daughters in their home in the loyalist Millburn area, when a device was thrown through her window, which failed to ignite.
John Dallat, MLA, said the UDA still had a grip on the area and the outlawed group “have an appalling history of abuse towards anyone who disagrees with them”.
WITH MANY THANKS TO : BELFAST TELEGRAPH.
- Nine men cleared of murdering UDA man Tommy English (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
- Jackie McDonald questions Orange Order Covenant parade taking motorised machine guns past Short Strand (sluggerotoole.com)
- National News: Loyalist cleared of UDA murder (coventrytelegraph.net)
- Today the family of Pat Finucane take a Legal Challange to Fight for Justice ! Lets all wish them luck ! (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)
This has got to be the final straw!!!
We MUST take this message to the world!!!
Trevor Muirhead, 43, and Neil McKenzie, 42, who had been accused of conspiring to “assault and murder” Lennon, the late QC Paul McBride and ex-MSP Trish Goodman have had their charges massively reduced!!!
Despite sending a viable bomb…. YES a viable bomb the judge is not convinced that there was an attempt to murder!!!
This is just like the John Wilson trial ( Hearts fan who ran from the stands to attack Lenny)…. In that case Wilson was cleared of a religiously aggravated assault!!!! Despite the incident being witnessed live by millions!!!! Definitely a gate crime!!!
Do not listen to excuses based on legal “red tape”….. Do not let the Scottish justice system insult your intelligence!!!!
I wish Paul McBride was still alive to destroy these bigots in open court…. ( I include the presiding judge)!!!
They are a disgrace to the legal system!!!
The message is loud and clear!!!
NEIL LENNON IS FAIR GAME FOR SCOTLAND’S SHAME!!!
Please forward this message far & wide so that the world can see these racists for what they are!!!
The time to “Stand up for Lenny” has come.
Please use any “Peaceful” means you have to do just that!!!
Do not resort to violence & bigotry!!!
HAIL HAIL by: Celtic Nation
- Neil Lennon ‘bomb’ plot trial: Jury urged to put together “pieces of a jigsaw” (scotsman.com)
- Celtic ‘parcel bomb’ trial begins (bbc.co.uk)
- Celtic Boss Lennon Speaks At Bomb Plot Trial (news.sky.com)
- Scottish News: Neil Lennon ‘letterbomb’ suspect’s shopping list revealed (dailyrecord.co.uk)
Add a new word to your lexicon: Biopiracy.
That’s what U.S.-based agribusiness giant Monsanto has been accused of in India, where the government is planning to charge the company with violating the country’s biodiversity laws over a genetically modified version of eggplant.
In doing so, India has placed itself at the focal point of the movement to challenge genetically modified crops, which opponents say are destroying traditional crops and threatening farmers’ livelihoods.
“This can send a … message to the big companies [that] they are violating the laws of the nation,” K.S. Sugara of the Karnataka Biodiversity Board told France 24 (see video below). “It is not acceptable … that the farmers in our communities are robbed of the advantage they should get from the indigenous varieties.”
India announced last month it is pursuing charges against Monsanto for “stealing” an indigenous crop — eggplant — and using it to create a modified version without permission, a violation of India’s decade-old Biological Diversity Act. It’s the first prosecution of a company for the act of “biopiracy” in the country, and possibly the world.
At the heart of the issue is the phenomenon of the commercialization of indigenous knowledge. Indian farmers argue that they developed the strains of eggplant grown in India over generations, and Monsanto has no right to come in and build a product out of their own indigenous species.
Monsanto took locally-grown eggplant “without any conformance with the biological diversity act, and therefore it is biopiracy,” said Leo Saldanha, director of the Environmental Support Group, an Indian NGO. Saldanha filed the initial complaint that prompted India to pursue charges.
It is not actually illegal to develop GM foods from indigenous crops in India, but the the government placed a moratorium on eggplant development last year after an outcry from farmers. It’s this moratorium that Monsanto is accused of breaking.
However, in the month since the government announced it intends to file charges, no actual charges have been laid. France24 correspondent Vikram Singh said India may be coming under pressure from Monsanto and other multinationals not to pursue the case.
But Singh said government officials insist they are simply taking their time to build a water-tight case.
Farmers’ opposition to Monsanto and genetically modified crops in India goes back to before the eggplant controversy, and traces its roots at least partly to an earlier controversy about genetically modified cotton.
After successfully introducing GM cotton to India, Monsanto was besieged by bad publicity when a failed crop allegedly caused farmers to commit suicide. Crop failures are common in India, but when the GM cotton crop failed, the farmers growing it were saddled with enormous debt.
The company has also been accused of using child labour in its cotton seed production operations.
Monsanto has largely refused to comment to the media about the eggplant controversy, but France24 reported that the company is blaming its Indian sub-contractor for the unauthorized use of eggplant species.
France 24’s Singh said the case “will have ramifications beyond this incident. … It’s hugely important because how they handle this will set precedent for cases in the future.”
The stakes for Monsanto are huge. Besides cotton and eggplant, the company sees an enormous potential market for genetically modified corn in India. The St. Louis-based firm’s sales in India have been growing rapidly in recent years and now stand at around $7 billion per year.
- India Slams Monsanto with Unprecedented ‘Biopiracy’ Charges (truthsupport.wordpress.com)
- Big (Green) Deal: Monsanto Charged with Biopiracy (fthats.wordpress.com)
- Indian Government Files Biopiracy Lawsuit Against Monsanto (disclose.tv)
- Patent For a Pig (schweingehabt.wordpress.com)
- Genetically Modified Foods – The Silent Killer (elmsprogressivemedia.wordpress.com)